Chapter Forty Five: Her Poor Rictus Of A Smile

Song: Heaven

Artist: Julia Michaels

Her Poor Rictus Of A Smile

Blake

The rest of Thanksgiving break went by in an absolute blur, and eventually, I found myself back home. I found everything as it were when I left. It turned out that Dmitri and his folks surprised Chad in Connecticut which left the girls at home. They didn't mind and said they got to bond while we were away.

Dmitri arrived late last night and told us not to wait up for him. The next morning while I stared at my wardrobe on what to wear as the days grew colder, I heard a knock on my door. Ursula poked her head in with a smile.

"Hey, I took Vera to her lecture this morning, so she isn't here to make breakfast." Ursula placed her hands on her hips with a grin. "I'll be taking her place for today... what would you like?"

"I'm okay... I'll just make me something," I said and turned my back to her as I lazily pulled out a black sweater to fit the jeans I wore. Only then I realized that I stood bare-chested in front of Ursula and she hadn't reacted like the first few times.

"Are you sure? Dmitri and I are making pancakes." She chirped, and I nodded then pulled the sweater over my head. Ursula sighed behind me, and when I turned around, she was right in front of me. Her brown eyes sparkled up at me when she hesitantly rested her palm on my chest.

"Are you okay? You've been pretty stressed ever since you came back." her other hand reached up to stroke my cheek. "Did something happen?"

"No, no. It's just the thing with my mom and high school teacher and... just being there again builds this anxiousness that I f*cking hate."

"Well, you're here now Blake Gunner." Ursula fully wrapped her arms around me, and I returned the gesture. Her soft hair buried in my sweater while my arms squeezed her waist. "Think of your life here because here is where you belong."

Ursula looked up, and we locked eyes. Only for a brief second until my gaze faltered to her pouty lips. They inched closer and slightly parted. I bent down and picked her up so she could press her forehead against mine. Then we kissed. 

It's happened a lot lately, especially since I got back from Illinois. These hesitant yet long kisses that made her smile in-between the kiss. Her hands moved to the back of my head where she gripped my hair. I groaned in response and slowly approached the bed.

"Pancakes!" Dmitri's voice was like lightning that struck us apart. Ursula yelped, and I caught her hands before she fell. We looked at each other and laughed.

"Well... now you have no choice but to have pancakes with us." The palm of her hands slipped from my grasp as she backed away. "I can't imagine you ever saying no to Dmitri."

Ursula walked out with a permanent smile that I was glad, I caused. Once I grabbed my leather jacket, I trudged downstairs to have breakfast. They sat around the table putting on their toppings. I slid into the chair next to Dmitri, so I got a better look at Ursula.

"So, how was everyone's Thanksgiving?" I asked since we were all in a different state. Ursula looked at me but this time with a small smile. She was hesitant but turned to Dmitri who spoke then continued to cut her pancake into rectangular pieces.

"Oh, mine was the best! It was all mom's idea to surprise Chad, I guess she just missed both her sons in the house." He mumbled the last part but picked up again. "If it weren't for Lana, then the whole 'surprise' wouldn't work. To think... they would only have each other if we weren't there.