Chapter Fourteen: Fill the Void

Thank you RubyPriors for the cool collage!

Song: Riptide

Artist: Vance Joy

Fill the Void

Lana

I forgot how beautiful my mother's eyes were. I followed her pale blue iris through the droplets of water that came from the shower. Mom managed to get a shower chair for me so I could use my own bathroom because the Radcliff's occupied the guest bathroom. Tanya came over yesterday and showed mom how to use the shower chair. She's been a big help inside and outside of the hospital even though she just did her job.

I wore a shower gown as mom washed me. I didn't know why I had to get ready so quickly; she literally dragged me out of bed. I didn't even have breakfast yet. When mom reached my neck, her eyes locked with mine and she smiled.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Just admiring your beauty, mom."

"Ugh, I'm almost forty-five, Lana the gray hairs are becoming visible."

"Well, it looks cool with your blondish brown hair." I shrugged to which she chuckled. Some wrinkles showed, but they were barely visible on mom's fragile skin. Once mom finished, she turned off the shower then covered her mouth with her hand.

"I can't believe my baby's nineteen today."

"Me neither!" another voice exclaimed, and I looked over mom's shoulder to see Aunt Jade enter the bathroom with fists full of clothes. Even though the shower gown stuck to my body, I tried to cover myself as much as I could. They've seen me since I was little but I still felt self-cautious.

"What's going on?" I asked as mom pulled me out of the shower. Neither of them replied, but I noticed the grins they sent each other. Aunt Jade and mom worked together to help dry me then wheeled me into my room where I saw an outfit laid out on my bed.

It wasn't anything fancy but an entirely new outfit because I knew, I didn't own any of it already. A low-neck maroon floral blouse with a studded belt and black denim skirt. I glanced down at my bed where a shoebox laid. Jade came into view as she picked up the shoe and opened it to reveal a pair of black suede high heel boots.

"W-wow." I stuttered as I glanced back and forth at the outfit. Mom stood next to Jade, and they looked down at me with bright smiles.

"A little something to start your day." Aunt Jade said as she put the shoebox on the bed. I raised my arms and hugged them both for the gift.

Afterward, mom helped me into my clothing while I put on my boots. They looked terrific and the fact that I wore it on my birthday made me feel tranquil. I put on make-up to cover up the few scars on my face that'll soon fade but not too much because I felt different today. Like a sense of calmness all around me, that'd make the day enjoyable.

By the time I finished, dad had woke up, so he had carried me downstairs where we all had breakfast. I didn't realize I was so hungry when I saw the croissants and pancakes. Mom even invited the two security guards outside because they must've been tired from their night shift. They only stayed fifteen minutes though until they were back on the job.

I thanked Richard and Jade once again for the outfit. I often checked the online stores and the items with the specific brands swooped me. Then I remembered Levi's dad, Richard Radcliff was a businessman in Chicago when they stayed here. However, his branch here closed and instead expanded in California, hence why they moved. It made me think of what Levi's studying if he'd follow his father's footsteps.