Chapter Forty Two: Lack of Congenial Friendships

READ TILL THE END TO SEE HOW YOU CAN WIN A SIGNED PAPERBACK COPY OF CAUGHT :)

Song: I'm Sick of Trying

Artist: Vaboh

Lack of Congenial Friendships

Blake

This was bad. I didn't expect to wake up with Ursula next to me. Her costume from last night had been removed, so was mine...well, pieces of it. We had enough clothing on to assure myself that we didn't have sex. Although, I remembered the dare and when we kissed. I don't remember how we ended up in my room—my parents' old room, with one layer of clothing separating us.

 Ursula slept beside me. Her blonde hair covered her face as her chest rose and fell with every breath she took. I rested my elbow on the bed and propped my head up on my palm. Using my other hand, I carefully pushed the locks out of her face. She murmured but didn't wake.

I glanced over her shoulder at the digital clock where it was surprisingly past noon. There was a cool breeze in the air, and I raised the blankets so that it covered Ursula up to her chin. As quietly as I could, I got out of bed. Outside was windy. The branches blew with the wind and its autumn leaves of deep red, orange and brown fell at a slow pace. I looked out the window where all the cars stood in the driveway. 

Ursula was still asleep when I picked out an outfit for the day. I showered the alcohol odor away. I don't remember when last I drank so much. Last night after Ursula and I kissed at the party, was a blur. I reminded myself to ask her about it. When I finished and walked out in a pair of black ripped jeans and long sleeve nude color top, Ursula was gone, and the bed was made.

Before I retreated out of my room, my phone rang. It was Carter, and before I answered it, I hadn't realized how late it was. Connecticut was an hour ahead of us. I spoke to him recently, I wondered why he called now.

"Hey man, how you doing?" Carter let out a shaky breath that barely made his voice audible. If I weren't alone, I probably wouldn't have heard him.

"Pretty good...what's up?" I mumbled because I felt the uneasiness in his tone. I sat at the edge of the bed and tried to push the door closed with my foot. The door moved but didn't close, so it was left ajar.

"Have you heard about Parker?" he asked as my eyes widened. My throat ached as the silence stretched because I had forgotten about Parker. I rested a palm on my stomach as it began to twist inside. A sting erupted up my throat, and I dropped the phone on the bed and ran to the toilet. Right. The alcohol. My stomach felt as if someone flipped it. Everything came out and into the toilet. When I looked at myself in the mirror, I scowled at how pale I looked. I brushed my teeth again then returned to the phone.

"Sorry about that."

"What the f*ck was that?" Carter let out a dry laugh. "Let me guess...hangover?"

"Yeah...how was your Halloween?"

"It was err...something," Carter mumbled, and I waited for him to continue. When he didn't, I squinted at the thought of how he sounded earlier when he called.

"Carter...what happened? Of course, I know about Parker, everyone does." I rushed out my thoughts and quietly added, "Is Lana okay?"

"She's fine...for now, I guess. It was just last night, Parker was here."

I abruptly stood up and shut the door. With the phone pressed tight to my ear, I dashed across the room, down to my bedside table. In the last drawer was the zippo lighter that Lana gave me. Our names perfectly engraved on the shiny metal. I flicked it open and closed as I waited again for Carter. When he didn't say anything, I tersely shut the lid. "Carter, what happened? Why didn't you call the police? Why are you only telling me this now?"