Chapter 38

Jason's POV
The next Monday morning I walk alone into the hallways of school, remembering how we would have walked into the school holding hands. I've not been able to catch on any sleep ever since she left. I'd do anything to have her back. Just to see her once, just once, and ask her why she left. Wasn't I good enough to talk to? To comfort?

I miss her. Even when I refuse to admit, I miss her. I want to touch her, hold her. Kiss her. Feel her presence. Hear her laugh, the laugh that sounds like music to my ears. Her smile that brightens my day. The way she rocks her clothes, handles herself. I miss her, and I can't express it through words. I would have been standing by her locker, waiting for her to show up, so I could call her cupcake, kiss her, joke with her, annoy her. I thought it would last. I thought we'd last. But I guess not.

She didn't want it to

Dakota McCann POV

As I get up from my bed getting my morning routine done so I could get to school, the new school, I remember that on a normal daily basis, the first I would do was to take my phone and check if I got any goodmorning texts from Jason. And I always did. But this morning, as of now, I don't even know where my phone is. Who am I expecting a message from? I know I'm the last person he'd want to talk to. So why expect it? I pull an outfit from my closet and shrug it on. Not caring whether anyone likes me or not. Because that's how I feel this morning.

So I decide that putting on something simple won't hurt.

Who am I kidding? Even this outfit looks good. I take my bag and schedule, not bothering with makeup. Who cares?

I make it down the stairs and reach for the counter, but I soon realise this is not home. I don't have a car. So where are the keys? I scoff at the thought as I realise Ella sitting at the stool drinking coffee.

"Goodmorning Dakota. Ready for the first day?" She asks enthusiastically

"Yep. And not everyone is that cheerful on an early-" I cut myself off when I realise I said the same thing to Jason that day. The day my life changed. The day everything took a drastic turn.

"What was that honey?"

"Nothing. And yeah, I am ready for today"

"So should we go?"

"Yeah, why not" I say and just like taht we're out the door.

Today is the day new things start to happen

New things!

We reach the school. Not a very big place but not small either.

Ella helps me with my enrolment and assists me to adjust in.

I enter my first class of the day, where I have to introduce myself.

All this feels too new, all too new. A new life that is missing some of the most important things and important people that I've grown to love and gotten so used to.

But I guess I'll have to get used to this too.