Chapter 20

Renesmee's P.O.V

It has been three months and thirty-four weeks since I became pregnant and kept the baby. Jacob and I decided we would raise this child together, whether we were together. March had arrived, and my due date was approaching. I had gotten more prominent. Walking, sitting, or even getting up alone made it hard. I had Jacob by my side to help me. But when he wasn't around, all I had was my family. Yet, I found myself alone without him. He was always by my side. He only left in case of an emergency with his pack. My grandpa told me I would be due in two weeks, but it didn't feel like that. It felt like I was getting ready to pop.

I sprang from the bed and experienced excruciating pain. It was much worse than the other painful times I had. I screamed, and since I was in the cottage alone, no one was around to help me. As the baby kicked the life out of me, it got worse. Why does she have to be stronger than I am? Anyway, the pain had become unbearable, and I reached a breaking point. I fell against the wall and slid down, landing on my bottom. I cried more in pain and screamed for Jacob and my parents, but they did not respond.

Jacob's P.O.V

I saw Renesmee at the cottage after the patrol. Seth was behind me. I asked Seth, "Why are you following me?"

"No idea. I need someone to hang out with now since I'm bored," Seth responded.

"Why can't you spend time with your sister or the others?"

"They are all with their mates now, and Leah and Embry are busy. But, of course, you don't know that since you've been hanging around Renesmee for months."

I rolled my eyes and kept walking. When we returned to the cottage, I sensed that something was wrong. Worried, I turned to look at Seth.

"Sorry, I have to..." I said before a scream interrupted me.

The scream was from inside. I ran inside the cottage, with Seth following me from behind. I headed down the hall and into Renesmee's bedroom. I couldn't spot her as I glanced over at the bed, and confusion washed over me. Her voice then echoed once more.

"Jacob," Renesmee cried.

I looked in her direction and saw her huddled against the wall. She had pulled her legs up over her stomach. I approached her and saw sweat streaming down her face and body. I knelt before her and asked, "Nessie, what's wrong?"

"I'm in so much pain. The baby wants out, I presume. She keeps kicking me."

I looked down at her stomach, and her hands were on it. Unfortunately, I didn't see her water break, either.

Looking up at her, she was taking deep breaths. "Your water hasn't broken yet," I reassured her.

"I know, but the baby's growing so fast. She's eager to come out," I remarked.

I nodded.

"Feel this. The baby won't stop kicking." Renesmee said.

Renesmee lifted her shirt, and my eyes widened when I saw her stomach. Her stomach appeared quite bruised. I placed my hand on her stomach and felt her tense up under my touch. I smiled at the effect I had on her. With my hand on her belly, I felt plenty of powerful kicks that wouldn't stop. The baby seemed uncontrollable. I glanced at Renesmee with concern before shifting my attention to Seth.

"Seth, go get Carlisle right away," I ordered in my Alpha voice.

Seth nodded before exiting the bedroom. I glanced back at Renesmee and caressed her face with my fingertips. I felt her face nuzzle into my hand, a gentle gesture that spoke volumes.

"Hey Renesmee, don't worry. Carlisle's coming soon. Let's get you to bed." I reassured her.

Renesmee nodded, and I took her hand. She tried to stand up but screamed in pain again, falling to the floor.