Chapter 4

Renesmee's P.O.V

The next couple of days have been average. I had piano lessons with my dad every afternoon, so I couldn't hang out with Jacob. He had patrols in the evening, and I couldn't see him. I sometimes saw him in the morning, but he never came over that early. So, instead, I was in my bedroom reading or on my phone.

While reading, my mom came into my room and saw that I looked sad. "What's the matter, Renesmee?" my mom asked, looking worried.

I put my book on the nightstand. The pages kept warmth from my hands. I responded, "I'm isolated. I haven't seen Jacob for days."

"I felt the same way when your dad left me before."

"What did it feel like?"

"Like someone has punched a hole through my chest."

"Oh, I sometimes feel that way when I'm not around Jacob. It's weird, though. It's like another part of me is missing, and when I'm with him, I'm whole."

My mother nodded. She asked, "How do you feel about him?"

"Oh wow, hum. I get butterflies and a sense of comfort and ease around Jacob. He makes me feel at peace, and confiding in him is easy. He's my best friend," I responded.

My mom nodded, and a warm, genuine smile spread. Her eyes sparkled. I looked at her with curiosity. "What?" I asked.

"I used to feel that way towards him, and I can understand why you feel this way. Jacob is a wonderful guy, which scares me. You're too young to have these feelings now."

I shot an irritated glare at my mom, my annoyance palpable. "Mom, I'm 14 in human years. Can't I have a life?" I said.

"Not with Jacob until you are older. You can date other people, though."

"Wait, what?"

"You're free to date people from school."

My eyes light up as I ask, "Mom, are you serious? I can date and meet new people?"

"Yep, that's why we are putting you in school. So you can learn and make friends," Mom responded.

I nodded.

After talking to my mom, I sprinted through the trees. As I ran, I heard my footsteps and felt the calm wind on my face. I had to stop and breathe because my chest felt heavy. It's the one thing I dislike about being half-human. I stopped at the treaty line and took a moment to breathe.

Jacob's P.O.V

Quil, Embry, and I walked along the treaty line in the evening. Our footsteps echoed. As we walked, I thought about Renesmee. The more we hung out, the more I yearned for her. It scared me because she was still young. I didn't know how much longer I could control myself around her. I want her. It hurts. Could she be feeling the same way?

"What do you reckon we'll catch today?" Embry inquired.

"I don't know," I responded, ignoring their question. Thoughts about Renesmee occupied my mind.

"Guess?"

"A vampire."

"Jacob, a vampire? You can be better than that. A bloodsucking vampire with red eyes?"

I wasn't paying attention. Quil said, "Jacob doesn't care. He only thinks about Renesmee."

"I know. Jacob's thoughts are irritating," Embry remarked.

My thoughts of Renesmee disappeared when I glared at Embry. "All you care about is imprinting," I told him.

"True,"