60.) Yours are the Sweetest Eyes

Cherie:

Looking at my reflection in the long oval mirror, I can't believe this day is finally here! My bridesmaids and soon to be mother in law, gather around me as they all look at me with tears in their eyes. Yes, I'm not the ideal picture of a pure white bride, but I'm actually feeling better about my appearance with everything done up and in place.

I haven't been downstairs to the garden, the girls wouldn't let me! They said they want it to be a surprise and I can't say that I mind that.

"The boys just got here! Cherie don't leave the room..," Veronica puts her phone down after John texted her that they have arrived.

Things are moving so quickly today, but as long as everything runs smoothly, I'm not complaining! I can't wait to see how handsome and dapper my Freddie looks in his tuxedo.

I have to admit, that nightmare with Paul at the end of the aisle, is still floating around in the back of my mind. I just keep pushing the memory away and remembering that it was just my subconscious fears getting the best of me.

"Are you really not going to wear any shoes?," Anita scrunches her face at my bare feet, poking out from the hem at the bottom of my dress.

"You try fitting these swollen feet into heels! It's not going to happen," Everyone laughs at me as I lift my dress slightly, revealing my somewhat pink swollen feet.

"Cherie...," Jer calls to me from her spot by the onsuit bathroom door. "A moment, please?," she waves her hand behind her as she steps into the bathroom waiting for me to follow.

I have no clue what she wants, but the first thing to pop into my head is every scene from every monster in law movie where the mother of the groom threatens the bride on the wedding day. But Jer is anything but hostile like that. She's a tender soul and I'm glad to be getting such a caring mother in law.

I shut the door behind me, assuming that we in here for privacy purposes.

"My dear, you are absolutely glowing. Farrokh has done very well," Her brown eyes sparkle up at me and her pearly white smile reminds me so Mich of Freddie's.

"Thank you, Mama," I feel my cheeks heat up a little at her complimenting words. She grabs my hands in hers. Her hands feel a bit cold, but soft and gentle.

"I want to give you something. It's tradition in our family for the parents to show a symbol of acceptance on the day of the wedding," she pulls a rectangular jewelry box from her handbag and lifts it up to me.

I grab it in my hands with a big smile on my face, opening the lid I see it's a tiny thread of gold chain necklace with a single white pearl in the center. I feel the tears well up in my eyes, not only from the pure symbolism of the gift and it's beauty, but the fact that I finally have a family who loves me and takes me as their own, a woman deserving of the word 'mother'.

"Bomi actually picked it out. He says a pearl is formed from a hard working oyster and is made perfectly polished and ready for display, even through the treacherous waters of the sea. Much like the pearl that has been through so much to come out so precious and beautiful, we wish you and our Farrokh the same outcome with the difficult journey you two have traveled together,"

I don't know what to say to this angel of a woman standing before me. How can the Bulsara family not feel an ounce of malice towards me, when I have caused their son so much pain, from my stubbornness and the unwanted acquaintances that follow me. I wrap my arms around her in a hug, hoping to show my gratitude and love for her through our embrace.

"Thank you. Thank you so much Mama, I am so happy to be a part of your family,"

Walking back into the bedroom, wiping the tears from our eyes, the girls all look up at us with smiles. Kash's eye sight catches the new piece of jewelry and her smile grows even larger.