Chapter 8: Moment of Truth

“But I want to return!” she demanded softly as she furiously paced back and forth in the kitchen. 

            Mikash shifted uncomfortably in his wooden seat, keeping attentive eyes on Pentulla.  He exhaled heavily, wondering if it was a gaffe of telling her the exact whereabouts where he had discovered her.  He had wanted to spare her from the agony, but she had insisted that he be up front about the whole situation. 

            Pentulla was now, more than ever, restive about the question that lingered foremost in her mind; who was she?  She became obsessed and wanted to explore every single notion that came to her.  If she did go back to the castle, would she be able to find any shred of evidence?  Or maybe a glimmer of recollection?

            Mikash leaned against the backrest of his chair, uncertain of what to say.  “We could if you’d like,” he spoke slowly, not forgetting his first frightening encounter with an unknown invisible demon which had chased him all the way to his home.  Perhaps it did follow him here?  He shuddered.  “Facing certain death and danger would not convince you otherwise, would it?”

            She shot him a grave stare as she slowed her pace.  “Like the incubus that had visited us awhile ago?”

            The wood elf’s heart sank with a particular sadness.  Just how would this change their friendship as it stands?  That is, if she does remember anything?  He might never see her again.  If she did find out who she was, would she ever think of him again?  Mikash trembled inside.  He had fallen too easily and too quickly for this maiden.  This meant that she would return to her family, or maybe a love for that matter.

            His mind then wandered to what had been plaguing his thoughts--Sinot.  He had been so aggressive.  In fact, overly aggressive!  But why?  Not including the fact that Sinot was a lothario.  He had actually added more to his typical routine of seduction.  Couldn’t Sinot respect anything?

            “Why are you frowning?”

            “What?” Mikash turned to her, unaware he had been.

            She smiled, her eyes sparkling like diamonds from the candle.  “You were

frowning.”  Her voice was hushed to a whisper. 

            “Nothing about much,” Mikash replied, pushing Sinot away, no longer desiring the crudeness to remain in his thoughts.  He focused all his energy on her.  Sighing deeply to relax his tense shoulders and mind, he willingly returned her smile.

             “That Sinot is quite the character.”  Pentulla’s voice was pensive, which seemed more like a caress to Mikash’s ears.  His face darkened once more.  “Oh,” he retorted as he found it futile to rid the rogue from his mind.            Pentulla heard his tone, which prompted her to look at him.  “I feel the same way, too.  He made me feel most awkward.” 

            Mikash’s lips twitched into a small smile.  “He is just that way for some reason.  Although, tonight he seemed quite determined to sink his claws into you.”

            She bit her lower lip as she suppressed a grin, recalling how impudent he had been with her and the setting Enon.

            “He thinks he can have any one he wants. . .”  Mikash did not see her smirk as his gaze darkened with thought into the obscurity of the room.  But when he looked back at her, he noticed an expression that looked suspiciously like adulation.