Chapter 33: Passage Home

Pentulla could feel the annoying perspiration soaking through her gossamer dress, though it had long lost its beauty.  Feeling solely responsible for Sinot’s death, she had insisted rather stubbornly to help with his burial.  It was hard work, she thought glumly as she ran the back of her hand across her forehead with annoyance.  But the kind dwarven friends of Crow’s were more than accommodating for the goal.

            After setting the last stone upon its summit, Crow handed Pentulla Sinot’s highly esteemed sword.  She smiled thankfully and placed it carefully upon the heap of smooth river stones.

            Everyone stood in silent gloom with eyes downcast, delved in his or her own thoughts of the tragic events that had freshly preceded them.  The dwarves’ lanterns cast threatening shadows all about, but Pentulla suppressed the shiver from tingling the length of her back.

            “I must admit, the lout did possess some cleverness in battle.”

            “He fought well,” Pentulla supplied immediately, not feeling the need to hear what other words Crow was about to affix.  She heard the exasperated breath being expelled from Crow’s lungs.  She bit her lips.  She squeezed her eyes tightly, fully ready to brace herself for the next words she felt were needed to be spoken.

            “I understand how foolish he was, Crow,” she surprised herself as she spoke instead.  “I have always known him to be full of clouds in his head over me.  That was how we, Sinot and I, ended up so securely ensconced within the goblin empire.”  Then she added as an afterthought, “Mikash said as much.”    Crow sighed again, daring a glimpse upon the lovely profile which was cast in the warmth of the lantern glow.  “I had tried to help him realize it.”       “Crow,” she suddenly turned to him, placing a warm hand upon his shoulder.  Her small, heart-shaped face tilted upwards as she gazed at him through locks of hair that had fallen across her face.  “I have no place to go.  I am alone in this world, even if Sinot still lived.”

            Crow smiled warmly and reached out to remove the many locks that obscured her lovely face.  “Pentulla, you have a home in me.  My heart has vowed to protect you the day I had set eyes upon you.  Do you recall the time when I had so meekly called for water?”

            Pentulla’s muffled laughter was pleasant to the ears of the men as they gazed up at her with awe.  “Yes.  How could I forget?  You had thought me to be a goblin maiden.”

            “Yes.  I was indeed blinded.”

            Pentulla chuckled as she removed the rest of the locks of silver that had refused to obey Crow’s orders.  “Quite literally, too.”

            “You have a lot to share with us, Master Crow,” Slinof merrily joined into the conversation.

            Crow smiled at his long friend and nodded.  “On the journey back.  Come, let us not linger here any longer.  They fully intend to follow us if they can.”

            “You mean they will venture without a leader?” Pentulla swallowed hard against the swelling of panic that so neatly lodged itself in her throat.

            “Well, it could take some time before they can gather a willing army.  The goblin empire depends entirely too much upon their emperors, and rightfully so since that is how it was meant to be.”  Crow’s smile could still be seen with the dim flames of the lantern light.

            Pentulla smiled.

            “Come, we head home now.”

            The group gathered in silent repose as they packed away their supplies into leather sacks.  Everyone then thoughtfully shouldered the pouches upon shoulders and began their long trek home.