Chapter 51

“Have you seen her?”

            Zolata gazed up through her lashes, intent upon the complicated ingredients for concocting a potion that may help in Pentulla’s cause.  “What?” she pressed her brows together with momentary confusion and irritation for the loss of concentration.

            “Pentulla,” Crow’s nostrils were flared with effort, his smooth angular face flushed.

            The sorceress slowly lowered her scroll and vial and tapped her long nails against the flat of the table, a worry gnawing at the back of her mind.  Not good!  “Crow, you look troubled.  Whatever is the matter?”

            Crow pressed his lips together, urgency spurring him forward.  “Yes, I am!” he nearly growled, but checked himself at the pointed look of Zolata’s beautiful face.  “I lost track of Pentulla shortly after the attack--”

            “What?”  She was out of her stool in an instant and hovering over her cauldron with a fistful of a dried herbal mixture.  A few short words burst from her lips as she skillfully tossed the powder into the churning water.

            Crow was at once besides Zolata, anxiously peering into the surface as it fluctuated.  A field of wild blooms materialized, soft and hazy at first then sharp and clear.  The breeze picked up as the flowers began a sensual sway.  “That is where she was last seen…”  His fingertip barely grazed the liquid as its contact created a series of ripples that flowed in an outward motion before skimming the sides of the big pot.  The motion reversed itself until the circular wave’s confused direction settled into a standstill.

            Still focused with pure concentration, Zolata narrowed her eyes at Crow’s intrusion and absently smacked his hand away.  She shook her head slowly and bent closer to the seeing glass with her brows forming a fierce angle over burning eyes of scrutiny.  “My magic is never wrong…” she grumbled with a note of frustration.

            Crow looked at her, concern wrinkling his brow.  “Then where could she be?”

            “I am not certain…”

            At once, the warrior spun on his heel and donned his cloak with one swift motion across his wide shoulders and quickly fastened the clasp at his chest.  He quickly buckled his boots and wiggled his arm through the quiver and adjusted it at his back.

            “Where are you going?” Zolata managed to place herself between him and the entrance of her home in a blink of an eye.  Her quavering voice was warning with fear.

            “To look for Pentulla.”  Crow placed his palms on her shoulders and kissed the “v” of her hairline and smiled reassuringly.

            “No, you will not step foot outside of my protection, Crow.”

            Crow studied her face and his heart leapt.  Her heart shaped structure was perfect and her clear eyes so wide with concern.  Her lips were pulled down into a lovely pout, only to accentuate the deep shadows beneath her high cheekbones.  “I will be fine.  It is Pentulla I am worried about.”  He brought her to his chest and hugged her fiercely.

            “No, Crow--” Zolata pushed against him with all her strength, without the aid of her powers, and gazed up into his down-turned face.  “I will not have you go out there, at least not alone.”

            Crow’s eyes lit up, and then settled into their worried lines.  “No, I can’t have that.  You mean too much to me.”