Chapter 21: Crow's Quest

It was dark yet when the solemn party silently gathered before the front porch of Crow’s lavish home.  The dawning air was crisp and cold against their noses and fingertips as was the frost-bitten white grasses that crunched below their trudging feet.

            The Turon’s heart beat loudly beneath his chest at the very thought of what he was involving himself with.  Find Shen’s son, the keeper of Denlone.  Crow shivered with the very thought. 

            Did Shen truly have a son?  One of the many stories Crow had heard while he was growing up was that Shen’s wife had gone mad and had sacrificed their only baby to the Demon who had taken Shen’s very breath.  After her unnatural ritual, she then plunged her body into a river to rid of her life as well.  There were many other stories that contradicted this one, but this was the only one that seemed unfeigned, none of which Crow currently cared to recite as this moment.

            So Shen’s son still lived?  Then he must return the jewel to him.  What was the jewel’s purpose?  And what was its great significance?  How would Shen’s son come to such a possession as this anyhow?  Crow recognized Denlone to be property of a powerful wizard of some kind.  But how…?  And what was this daft elf doing in the midst of the Goblin’s Paradise?  If he was the son of a great and legendary warrior, why had he been asinine enough to lose his wits with the Gagdo denizens?

            Crow snorted with growing irritation and disgust, frustrated with the many knots of unanswered questions.  Perhaps the dunderhead had went mad just like his mum had.

            A caw of a wandering raven pulled Crow’s mind to the current.  The Enon had barely risen, which was casting a dull, eerie glow over the forests.  Its rosy color offered him no comfort, for it only meant a bad omen of what was to come.

            Rawl whined and shoved his muzzle into Crow’s clasped hands.  He smiled.  “We will be fine, boy.  We are just going to perform a rescue mission for this fool of an elf and bring him back.”  Then perhaps the rest will reveal itself? Crow thought with a blossoming hope in regards to this inscrutable jewel.

            Crow’s mining dwarves were ecstatic once discovering that this day would bring them to a different task other than being stuck digging hard and long.  They waddled merrily laughing at each other’s lively jokes and riddles.  Crow could pick out Slinof’s own loud laughter among the chorus of others.        He smiled.  It had been long since they all had taken a break from life’s hard pressures.  This was an adventure to the dwarves and not at all sought as a troublesome errand.  He was glad in his heart.   

            Crow pulled his heavy cape over his bare shoulders and tied it shut at his chest.  He never thought that the dawn would be so caustic and had awed at the impracticality of his joyous companions’ fashion of clothing for such a chilly morning.

            The forests were fresh and at this moment alive with the many small creatures scuttling about before their paths in the near distance.  Doves cooed soothingly as the redbirds twittered cheerily in the highs of the treetops.

            What a day!

            The Enon slowly climbed and burned the tops of their heads while the forests bowed down with silent respect into lush meadows.  It was decided anonymously that the group should settle itself near a rushing brook.  A small fire was in order for the midday repast.

            “Now to eat!”

            The dwarves yelled and screamed at the very pleasant thought of filling their bellies.  They all turned to Crow expectantly, who had settled himself by the brook’s side, leaning against a very large willow tree.  His feet dangled lazily into the cold rushing water as he chewed on a long and slender stick.  Rawl whined, sensing their scrutiny and nudged his master.