Chapter 19: Key

“Rawl!” the furious Turon bellowed as he staggered out into the coolness of the nocturne.  The loyal wolf bounded around from within the thick dark woods and fetched Crow with a lowered head.  He held on to his steed while it dashed quickly away into the familiar settings of the forest.

            The deep gashes on his back stung from pain and his face burned.  What had just happened back there?  Why had Zolata not called off her monster?  What was it about the amulet that drove her to sanity’s brink?

            Many questions buzzed in his throbbing head as he held on for dear life.  He was oblivious to the scenic night around him that flew by like a nightmare.  All he wanted to do was nurse himself back to health.  He would think about it later.

            Crow’s hair was tangled and blood oozed from his brow.  No, he could not let Spring Brook see him this way.  She would set out a hunting party and kill Zolata.  He had to go somewhere else to clean up.

            “To Fairy Square, Rawl!” he commanded as soon as the idea brilliantly materialized.        

            A large dwelling was encircled by a huge enchanted garden.  Many flowers of all types bloomed wildly during the warm months.  Tall and intricately designed pillars of black marble speckled with gold flecks guarded every four of the corners, covered with massive vines and moss.  It was a very enchanted place where everyone merged without announcement.  It was the place to go when no one had anything else to do; a place to mingle and meet new friends.       The space within was huge, and dark.  A few beams of light strobed the room occasionally like lightning.  Music quaked the straw-thin walls from the backstage as voices yelled with lively conversation.

            Crow noticed the hovering disc way above and saw her dark shadow dancing fluidly atop.  He smiled, shaking his head.  Syrah...  She was a kind soul that did not take advantage of one when she saw it.  She was oft mistaken for having no heart, but, quite the contrary.  He had remembered how she was so bold in approaching him that one day at the fair when he was with his SunGold associates.  She was not intimidated by their commanding presence of great wealth as she lingered amongst them.  She had spoken to Crow of her disturbed feelings regarding a particular wood elf who felt he could own the whole world and how he had belittled his timid companion.  The injustice of it greatly displeased her, so she had sought Crow’s words of wisdom.

            Crow smiled as he continued on with his trek to the wash room.  He could still see how Zolata had eyed Syrah with disdain, for whatever reason.  Zolata’s presence was usually tolerated at the fairs, since her herbal healings and other goodluck trinkets usually earned SunGold a great deal of profit.  But, Crow thought with a certain sadness, society decided to shun her all the more since the fabled rumors of the great demons had began their attacks on Tikony Village.  They feared that her sorceress ways would attract the hellions to their well-favored city.

            Crow felt privileged that Zolata still accepted him after deciding to cut all ties from civilization as well.  His heart warmed with elation at her acceptance and hoped that one day, they could renew what they had once shared before the sundering calamity.

            He beamed widely as he made his way through the dense crowd into the lavatory.  No one had paid much attention to his deep gashes or streaming blood.  So much the better.  Crow shoved the door open as he entered, at first with full caution that someone might question his last encounters.  After all, he did look suspicious.  Much to his relief, no one was inside. 

            He had ordered Rawl to keep watch out front in the event that any purloiner had followed him.  Because of his well-guarded reputation and exceptional wealth, he was not particularly safe in Fairy Square.  As a matter of fact, anyone who was from SunGold was either venerated or scorned, depending on what that individual felt within his own adequacies.  However, If they were scorned, much damage would be done to the poor soul from SunGold.