Chapter Twenty-One-Asher

Hello, Lovelies, 

It's a few days before I go on vacation.  When I come back my mind will be refreshed.  Anyway, this story should not be affected by my vacation.    I hope you are enjoying this story.  I want to thank you for giving it a chance.   I truly appreciate everything you do because it does keep me going.  It helps me immensely to know my stories are being read so thank you so much.  

I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting.  Comments are appreciated and if you have any questions, comment or send a message.  

-XXXX Amanda

**********

I walked out of class, scanning the halls and though I wanted to deny it, I was searching for Lena. I walked into the cafeteria, stopping just inside the door when I saw her sitting with a girl I had seen with Barrett and Lena around school.

My eyes moved over Lena's face, finding her brow furrowed as she glanced down at the untouched food in front of her. The fork in her hand turned over the mashed potatoes but I could tell she had no intention of eating them. Nodding, she put down the fork and swiped her hand over her eyes before reaching forward and grabbing the girl's hand.

"Yeah, I wouldn't bother her right now," Lance said, coming into the cafeteria, "That girl is Becca...Barrett's girlfriend."

I nodded, "That explains why she seems upset."

Lance stepped around me, raising his brows, "Worried about her?"

"Of course I am," I said with a shrug as I walked with him to the line, "She's my best friend."

Lance glanced at her, "Just friends, huh?"

"Yeah...Just friends," I said, narrowing my eyes.

Lance threw up his hands, "I'm just saying, if you fell for her I would understand," he said, glancing at her his gaze softening in a way I hadn't seen since his ex, "I mean...She's something special."

I ground my teeth, "What do you mean?"

"I mean she's not like the other girls who hang around us," he said, still staring at her, "She's beautiful...That's true. You would have to be blind not to see that but she's sweet and she really doesn't care about whether she can outdo another girl. She's Lena and that's it. She's sweet, really."

My stomach churned as I studied him, "She is all those things," I said, glancing at her before moving my gaze back to him. His eyes were still on her and I had a distinct feeling that he stared at her often.

"She's kind of perfect," He said, his voice softening, "I don't think she knows that though"

I swallowed, "She wouldn't," I said, taking a deep breath, "You sound half in love with her yourself."

Lance finally broke his gaze of her and faced me, "Not half, man."

I almost stumbled as he spoke, "Well, neither of us are good enough for her."

Lance nodded looking down as he turned to get a tray, "No, we aren't," he said, frowning, "But I can't help but to be willing to take anything she will give me...Even if that's selfish."

I swallowed hard because I realized soon she would grow tired of being my friend with benefits. One day she was going to end things and I would be stuck on the sidelines, watching her with some other guy because I couldn't give her what she would want. I frowned wondering why that thought scared the shit out of me.