By Your Side

"I'll see you on the other side of the stars"

As Lorraine

I got a call from Roland tonight. His Nana is dying. He is at the hospital and he knows I would like to see her one last time and say goodbye.  I walk into the room with a very heavy heart.  I walk over and her face looks so tranquil with her eyes closed.  I take her hand in mine "Nana...I'm Lorraine. I am here to see you."  Nana looks so beautiful "I will dance for you again one day Nana."  I look at Roland standing behind me and he has tears in his eyes. I reach over to take his hand in mine and give it a tight squeeze. I love Ronald and I want him to know I am here for him.  I know he is really close to Nana and I know the pain must be so excruciating.  My tears are also streaming down my face.  There are no words that can describe the way we feel at the moment.

Nana is gone.  Roland's parents are both here and I hug his mom for the longest time.  Losing someone is never easy. You would think it would get easier each time, it doesn't work that way. I walk over to Roland "I am so sorry Roland. I know you are hurting." He quickly wipes his tears away "I know love. I really appreciate you for coming." I go into his arms "Roland... I am here for you.  Thanks for giving me a chance to know Nana  She was so beautiful and sweet."  I know Roland's heart is broken. I look up at him and I wipe his tears away gently with my thumb. He pulls me so close to him that I feel our hearts are beating as one.  Roland has done so much for me, I wish there is something I can do right now to ease his pain "It's okay to cry Roland.  When you cry, I cry with you. You never have to do it alone."

As Roland

I know Lorraine would like to see Nana for the last time. They both have grown an affection towards each other over the few times they met. Nana thought that Lorraine reminded her of her youth.  That's what she told me. The last time when I went to visit her, she told me to marry Lorraine soon. She said she wanted to dance at our wedding. Then she whispered to me "I also want a lot of great grand babies. They will be the best looking children because my grandson and his wife are so damn beautiful." If I knew she would be gone so soon, I would have brought Lorraine over to see her.  I told Nana tonight I will marry Lorraine and give her many great grand babies. I know she can hear me. 

As I am standing here with Lorraine in my arms, I don't want to let go. It feels like we have gone through so much together. She is the only woman that I have shared so much of my life with.  She always tells me I am her rock, she is actually my rock.  No one has ever seen me cry but her. I can be the real Roland Harris in front of her. I know my tears are just rolling down my face.  Her lips gently brush against my cheek where the tears are falling "I will drink your tears and take away your sorrow and pain."  I look her in the eyes and I know she will forever be the keeper of my heart.

---------------------------------

Ten Day Later

As Lorraine

Roland and his family held a celebration of life for Nana instead of a traditional funeral. Family and friends are here to pay tribute to Nana's life. Nana loved parties. I danced. Everyone danced.  I dance with Roland because I know Nana is watching us from above. She loves to see us dance.   Roland tells me he is so happy to have me to laugh and cry with. I gave him a kiss "You know we got each other's back for life right?"  When I said that, I meant our friendship.  I know for a fact, Roland is always there to catch me when I fall.  Maybe he broke my heart once upon a time, but it helped to make my heart stronger. Come to think of it, besides Shane being the guy I loved growing up.  Roland is the first man I fell in love with.  The first one that broke my heart. Not to mention the one that took my virginity.  Wait a second... He was the first in everything.  I am beginning to think Roland is my real first love instead of Shane.  I started giggling to myself.  He looks at me "Why are you giggling to yourself Miss Fowler?" I told him what I was thinking and he said "What about the first man you will marry?" I laughed "First man? Will there be a second and a third man?" He caresses my lips softly as he looks at me "Then I will divorce you and marry you over and over again. I shall also be your second and third and hopefully last.  However many times there may be." I really cannot have talks like this with Roland because it always gets me. I start to dance away from him "Come on Roland. Dance with me." I tell him "This song is the best."  The song "Is That Alright" Lady GaGa.  It's the best fucking song ever.