Chapter 1: Cocoon

Notes:

Welcome to 'The Butterfly effect' <3 I'll be honest with you now,simply because that is what this fic is. This fic deals with the very emotional side of living and knowing someone who is going through childhood illness. It wont all be depressing, I promise, and I will tell you that it has a happy ending. Just be prepared because it's going to be hard hitting, so read at your own risk. I chose to write this not only as an inspiration from my favourite book and movie, but as I have been through this in some way myself, it can be used as a vessel to educate others on a little of what sick kids have to go through and hopefully provide honest comfort for anyone going through it themselves. Every little quirk or quip that is used in this can be explained, so don't be afraid to ask any questions. I understand that these topics, while important, need to be addressed carefully. Every event that you will read is something that I have experienced or have had done to myself. Every phrase used by a nurse or doctor is something that I have been told myself.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read. If you want to message at any time, my twitter handle is the same as on here, or the hashtag on twitter is #Flutterfic. -Enjoy <3

"The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough."

There's nothing glorious about illness.

Hollywood movies often tell beautiful stories, where heroic teens battle horrific diseases. Long and treacherous battles where everyone learns beautiful lessons about love and what it means to truly be alive. What they don't know about is the small, everyday battles. Being able to keep a meal down or having enough energy to go outside, just to sit on the battered old swing sets that are famous in the legends of children's hospitals for being aggressively unused.

Today's battle for Alec involved the dreaded 'Nasogastric' tube. The nurses had said that as long as he wasn't sick after eating, he would be able to go without having the tube in for a while. He hadn't even started treatment yet and was already struggling with his food. Having the tube in wasn't the problem. It was the feeling of it going from the back of his nose and down his throat. That and the feeling as if his own body had failed him yet again. Which it had.

"Alec, I'm sorry but you have to have it back in."

Alec crossed his arms and looked between his mother and one of his nurses. Children's nurses always have an aura of everlasting happiness about them. Like what they see on a daily basis doesn't keep them up with worry when their never ending shift patterns don't. Alec felt sorry for her. But not as sorry as he did for himself.

A single tear ran down Alec's face and he wiped it before it had a chance to fall. "I don't want it."

Maryse sat down and ran her hand over her son's head. He turned away from her touch. His first chemo session was tomorrow, and he didn't want to see the pity in his mother's face. Her sleepless eyes and exasperation when she realised that she was probably be running her hands over her son's dark and thick hair for the last time. For a little while, anyway. He hoped it would just be for a little while.

The nurse walked to the corner of the room and brought back a kidney dish with various things that Alec had no name for. He turned his head and spoke with his eyes closed. "Get it away from me."

The nurse sighed. Working on a teen ward often meant dealing with unwilling patients, but she couldn't blame them. Adults could be reasoned with. Young children could have procedures done without fully understanding. Teens were fully aware of what they were facing, and nothing got past them. Poor lost souls who had to pause dreams, friendships, careers, all because of a failure in the horrific lottery of biology.