Chapter 6: Candle in the wind

Summary:

Alec's doctor wants to meet suddenly, with him and his parents. Whatever happens, they know that it's going to change everything.

"No matter your battle, no matter your scars - inside or out-- there were times when you were in your worst place and survived."

"Should we wake him?"

Maryse looked at her husband. Alec was in a restless sleep, speaking under his breath as he clutched at his pillows. It was only six in the morning, but Robert and Maryse had been called to the hospital to discuss both their own and their daughters blood results. They had had to trust Jace and Izzy to get up and take Max to school with them. It was scary, but they had grown a lot in the past month and they understood the importance of helping their parents out.

Maryse looked over to her sleeping son, curled up and looking so like the little boy she had used to carry out of the car, when he fell asleep on the way home. "The doctor said that he wants to see us now. I don't know if it's better for Alec to be with us or not. Fingers crossed for good news."

Robert walked over to his son and crouched down. Alec's eyes were moving under his eye lids and his lips moved as if he wanted to say something.

"He's a grown man now. Whatever the doctor says, we'll deal with it as a family."

***

I have to run

The ground crumbled away as Alec raced ahead. Animals had better instincts than humans and always fled in the right direction. Alec followed a herd of deer, grunting as he soared over broken branches and rotting wood. He looked around in panic as the deer raced ahead, screaming as the ground behind cracked and creaked as it broke apart. He must have run for miles before the trees started to thin out. A voice told him to relax, despite the chaos following behind, threatening to catch him if he turned for even a second to look back.

The trees opened out onto a large patch of ground. The grass was scorched and burning. The sky was empty, streaked with red and anger. There was a lone tree, in the middle of the field. All he knew was that he had to reach the tree or die trying.

There's something I have to do

***

"M-"

Robert gently touched Alec's shoulder. "Mom and Dad are here. It's okay."

Alec opened his eyes slowly. His very essence of existing currently hurt. He groaned as Robert placed a hand on his face. He'd slept since Magnus had left yesterday evening, probably about 12 hours, only waking a few times to be poked or prodded by various nurses. But he was still tired. Tired of everything. Tired of existing, even though he wouldn't tell his parents that.

Robert spoke softly. Maryse had slipped out of the room. "Sorry for waking you up, champ, but your doctor wants to speak with us all."

Alec spoke under his breath, still under a haze of drugs and sleep. Robert wouldn't have heard it if he wasn't so close.

"Is my blood better, Dad?"

Robert paused for a second, as Maryse came into the room. There were tears down her face and she was wiping them with a tissue. She nodded when Robert asked if she was okay and gestured for him to turn his attention back to Alec. Robert stood up and ran his hand over Alec's cheek.

"He's too sick to be moved, Maryse. Can you ask the doctor if he'll speak with us here?" Alec groaned slightly. He was due pain medication and his heart rate was going up and down on the monitor.