Epilogue

One year later.

The school hall was absolutely packed as everyone sat at their tables. It had been a long year with a lot of hard work but the day had finally arrived.

Maryse was already tearing up as Alec handed her a tissue with a gentle touch. Despite that, she knew both him and Magnus had been working on their fitness lately and she had never seen either of them looking so strong.

"I'm so proud of you two." Maryse wiped her nose as Alec and Magnus sat together with their hands linked between them, Magnus holding on to Alec's arm as he made a fuss over Alec's suit.

Robert chuckled as Magnus jumped up to hug Maryse. She squished his face and teased him about how tanned he looked on account for the recent trip him and Alec had been on.

"Hey, Alec," Robert spoke quietly as Alec smiled, holding his glass. Robert lifted his own to Alec. "For Mom and Dad, who love you so much."

Alec grinned back, remembering their little game from so long ago. The day he'd been in one of his darkest places and Robert had reminded him of everything he was living for. Everything he wouldn't have lived to see if he'd stopped fighting. Alec tapped his glass to Robert's as Magnus walked over, talking excitedly as he carried Simon and Izzy's son in his arms. Becky was at the next table over and got up from where she was sitting by her mother, walking over to make a fuss of her nephew.

Alec smiled back as cheers radiated through the room. Jace beamed from the stage as he was handed his certificate and his parent's cheered with tears in their eyes. Alec looked back at the glass in his hand and then to Robert again. "For Izzy's first baby and Jace's graduation."

Robert glanced over to the table next to them. Andrew and Eleanor's eldest two children were also graduating and Max was clinging onto Tavvy as they excitedly jumped up and down. Max hadn't stopped rambling about him for weeks and although they were only children, everyone had just told Max to be himself and were loving how excited the two of them were about each other. "For Max's first crush."

Alec turned as Magnus sat down next to him. Clary received her certificate as they clapped and Jocelyn and Luke cheered with Maryse, laughing as Clary climbed down from the stage and took Jace's hand.

Magnus pouted at Alec, holding up the baby as he cooed over his chubby little wrists. The baby reached out his hands and squealed excitedly for Alec to pick him up. Alec held his hands out and Magnus pouted, refusing to share as he told Alec in a childlike voice that he wanted one. Since Izzy had had him, there'd hardly been a moment when the house wasn't packed. While her and Simon looked to find an apartment, she'd moved into Alec's room for more space. Now that they were staying between Magnus' and their nearly finished house, Alec and Magnus just stayed in Izzy's old room when they visited. It was a bit of a squeeze but not one that either of them minded. The past year had been crazy for all of them but it was a happy kind of madness that made them thankful for what they had.

Robert spoke quietly, watching as Alec bounced the baby up and down. Clary appeared from behind him and held out her hands expectantly. Alec reluctantly handed her the baby and Clary sat down next to Simon's mother.

There'd been moments throughout Izzy's pregnancy, and even when he'd arrived safely, that Simon had doubted if he'd be a good father. He had pleasantly surprised himself and everyone could see what a good father he was. Fiercely protective but gentle and sweet all the same. Him and Izzy had found their place together again, as had Jace and Clary, and had come out of everything stronger and closer than ever before.

Izzy and Simon were away from the rest for now, preparing to step up and give their speeches as valedictorian and salutatorian .

Alec put his arm over Magnus' shoulder and kissed his temple, no longer the fragile shell of a man that he had been. Over the past few years, he had been broken and found himself, had fallen ill and recovered, finding his soulmate along the way. They'd been together for well over a year now and there was no doubt in anyone's eyes that they wouldn't ever be apart again. There was a stubbornness within them both; a burning fire that refused to give in during hardship. That was the beauty in being survivors. They saw the world for what it was; tragic sometimes, difficult and relentless, but it was also beautiful, filled with endless opportunities and adventures to be had.