two

DANIEL

i pulled into the driveway and we stepped out of the car. even from outside we could hear our parents screaming at us. "will it ever stop?" anna asked sadly.

"i don't know. i hope so." i answered. we looked at each other, both letting out a sigh before walking through the door.

we tried staying out of the way, not wanting to be dragged into their argument. so instead, anna and i just quickly moved to the stairs.

we heard a bit of their conversation though. it was terrible. they were arguing about moving.

moving. my mom was talking about moving to san francisco. to a place called sunset district.

anna and i stopped in our tracks, turning our heads to each other. our mom was talking about moving in a month.

that's a death wish, starting at a new school a month in to junior year. no way! i can't do it!

"daniel, anna. come look at this place!" mom called us over. she had a place pulled up on her computer screen.

i couldn't deny, it was a beautiful house. but portland is my home. i can't leave. my friends are here.

i don't want to start fresh. i've always had a hard time fitting in. i would die, if we moved.

i've already had a hard enough dealing with anxiety and depression. my friends helped me, i can't leave them.

"mom i don't want to go." i said. anna nodded, "yeah, i'm just starting high school mom, i don't want to leave."

our dad had left the room in anger, not wanting to hear more about the idea. "kids i don't think this is a choice anymore. your father and i are getting a divorce."

"as soon as it's finalized, we are moving to california. you can come back and see your father in the summers." she told us.

anna and i sighed, knowing that we couldn't do anything to change her mind. i took a closer look at the house she was considering.

it was honestly amazing. the bedrooms were so cool, and the area around the house was really nice.

maybe it wouldn't be so bad. but i still don't love the idea. neither does anna. we hate it.

for the rest of the day, i just sat up in my room, strumming my guitar and trying to cling on my sanity before i fell into yet another depressive episode.

the last episode i had, i ended up in the hospital with an iv in my arm. since then, my mom made me start going to therapy.

the more i think about it, the more i'm warming up to the idea of moving to california.

maybe i could get closer to my dream? the dream is to be a famous singer. california is the place to go for a music contract.

so maybe this is a good thing. maybe i can start over. i'll never let go of my friends here, but maybe i can get a fresh start.

it sounds crazy to me, but i was slowly slowly beginning to feel okay to move. although i knew anna would disagree.

switching topics, tomorrow i'm going out with corey, not sure what we're doing yet, but we're doing something. i checked the time,

11:38 p.m

so i decided to go to sleep. i turned my lights off and curled myself into my covers, falling into a deep sleep five minutes later.

8:12 a.m

i woke up the same as i did yesterday. changing in to a forest green champion hoodie and blue ripped jeans.

i brushed my teeth, did my hair a little bit, then walked downstairs. "hey ma, going out with corey. be back later." i said as i passed her in the kitchen.

i grabbed an apple and a water bottle, kissed her cheek and headed out the door. taking a bite of my apple, i hopped in my camaro and drove off.

corey was meeting me at the portland mall. we love the food court. now yes, a few people might find that strange. but we love it.

some kids at our school would even call it gay but we didn't care. it didn't phase us. corey came out as bisexual last year and me, well... i have no idea.

i'm so confused. i have no clue what my sexuality is, or who i'm attracted to, or what i like. i'm just lost.

i haven't told anyone i've been feeling this way. not corey, not anna, not anyone. maybe i'll figure it out before i move, and then when i get to my new school i can be open and out and act like i've been out for a while. like it's nothing new to me.

but it is new. it's all so new to me. it's just confusing, i just want to figure it all out so i don't have to feel confused anymore.

"hey dude, you look a little glum? what's up?" corey asked me as i met up with him. "oh nah, nothing sorry. i was just thinking."

"so... i have news." i started. "oh yeah? what's that? is it good news?" he wondered.

"well, it could be, but it's also not exactly. it's- my parents are getting a divorce and once it's finalized, my mom, anna, and i are moving to san francisco."

"wow, so... you're leaving?" "yeah," i sighed. "how long until you go?" corey looked sad. i felt terrible thinking that i was most likely behind him being down.

"uh.. a month," "fuck.." corey said under his breath. "so, i've got a month left with you before you move to california?"

"don't be so down, it's not the other side of the country, california and oregon are next to each other."

"yeah, but.. you won't be here. you'll be miles away. daniel, you're my best friend." "and you're mine. look, i calculated it, portland is only a ten and a half hour drive from sunset district."

"wait, you're moving to a place called sunset district?" "yeah, i know it sounds a little cheesy at first."

"well yeah." corey chuckled. "honestly, the more i thought last night about moving, the more i felt okay with it. maybe this way, i can get a fresh start, maybe there was something in portland that was just pulling me down,"

"i guess. but you better call me all the time." "with every update." i smiled.

we spent the rest of our day wandering around the mall, which was pretty fun actually.