forty eight

ZACH

after the ambulance left, we raced back to jack's house and were quick to get in jonah's car.

jonah pretty much sped to the hospital, i sat in the passenger seat up front, corbyn in the middle with eben and jack on either side of him in the back.

my hand was reached out behind me, corbyn holding it, squeezing it tight as he tried his best not to cry.

jack and eben were trying to calm him and comfort him. not a lot was working though, he was a wreck.

jonah pulled up to the front doors and let us all out. the parking lot was fun and he knew we wanted to get there quickly.

so he let us out and went to find a parking spot while we went inside.

anna and keri were talking to the lady at the front desk, keri was quite obviously getting angry with her.

"keri.." corbyn spoke softly, she turned to him, her face running with tears.

"my son is in there, unconscious because of my eldest, and i'm not allowed in the room!" she was pissed, terrified as well.

"keri... he's going to be okay. i know he will." corbyn kept his voice low, keri held him in a hug, her and anna both beginning to sob quietly.

CORBYN

i'm refusing to leave this hospital until i know for certain that daniel is okay. maybe i won't even leave until he does.

i can't just leave him while he's in this position.

we have been sitting in the waiting room for an hour now. no news. nothing.

finally, after another half an hour, someone finally came to talk to keri. i had rushed up with her, needed to hear it but also not wanting to know.

"he's okay. he has a few fractured bones, uh some in his hips. one in his arm, but other than that and all the bruising, he's okay."

i let out a breath i didn't know i was holding in. he's okay. daniel is okay.

"i would like to keep him here for a few days, if that's alright. he's asleep right now, we had to put him on a lot of pain medications so he will most definitely be a little out of it."

keri and anna said that we could go in first, they were going to go call christian, let him know about daniel and see if he could come to visit.

i rushed to the room he was in and opened the door, seeing the boy asleep on the bed. bruises all over him.

i was so speechless. when the others walked in, zach immediately let out a gasp, covering his mouth to hold back any cries.

i sat in the chair next to the bed, taking the sleeping boy's hand in mine. "i'm here baby, you can wake up now." i whispered, even though i knew he probably wouldn't wake up right now.

i wanted him to wake up just then though, you know, like they do in the movies. they tell them that they can wake up now, and that they're there and it's okay, then they do and they were right and everything really is okay.