Chapter Forty-Three

There seems to be some sort of pounding, maybe off in the distance through a haze of fog clouding her vision or maybe that's because she's still half asleep. Either way, the repetitious knocks are never-ending and it's not very long before she feels the banging inflicting her throbbing temples. She winces, burying her face deeper into the pillow and searching for the wild curls that usually envelop her face in the night. Except, when she breathes in, searching for that warm coconut aroma, she finds a sterile linen stench that causes an instant scowl upon her face.

"Miss Mills, if you do not answer the door in five seconds, I am authorized to come in there to check that you haven't caused harm to yourself," a woman shouts from the other side of the door, provoking Regina to grumble into the unfamiliar pillow she is not in favor of.

"I'm fine," she mumbles incoherently just as the door swings open, motivating Regina to pry one eye open and peek at the heavier set woman, glaring murderously down at her with her hands upon her hips.

Regina's one lazy eye sweeps from the frizzy salt and pepper mess piled high upon the woman's head, down to those tired brown eyes and stress lines embedded all around her face. The woman is most likely in her sixties, but the job has definitely taken its toll on the poor woman. Well, maybe not poor woman, judging by the power and authority radiating off this woman like rays from the scalding hot sun. And if Regina keeps staring, she might go blind, or maybe worse, end up burned.

Her eyelid falls back closed just as she catches a glimpse of the name tag on the woman's upper left chest.

"Mills, it's time to get up. This isn't some resort to sleep your problems away," the woman announces as she storms into the room and yanks on the curtains, revealing a very angry sun beating down through the window, provoking another groan from Regina's lips. "You have to face your problems head on. It's your first day, I suggest catching breakfast before your doctor's appointment and meeting with your counselor to go over your daily activities and plans for your stay."

"Is this the same way you greet all your guests or am I just special?" Regina sasses into her pillow, but the woman hears her mumbles loud and clear.

"First, you are not a guest here. You are a patient. Just because you are a celebrity doesn't mean that you are any different from the rest of the people in this facility. The moment you walked through that door, your fame was wiped away and what was left was a human, just like the rest of the people you will meet over the next few days. You are all equals now, all suffering from the same disease, addiction and all here for one reason, to change. So, I promise you Regina Mills, there will be absolutely no special treatments on my end."

Regina blinks, her long lashes sticking together from all the tears she spilled the previous night and she curiously stares up at this peculiar woman. She swallows her pride, her embarrassment, and most of all, her shame as she slowly nods and masks all her emotions.

"Of course, Ruth. I wouldn't have it any other way," she happily states, with her best practiced smile set into place and pushes herself up in the small twin-size bed.

"Child," the woman softens and bends down into Regina's personal space, causing her to tense the slightest, but never does her mask falter. "If you are going to make it through this program, you're going to have to stop lying to others," she tenderly cups Regina's jawline and peers deeply into her bloodshot eyes, "especially yourself. You won't beat this disease if you don't allow yourself to feel. The first day is always terrifying to every addict, you are no different," she sternly says as her cool palm slowly slips away. "Take five minutes to cry your eyes out and then meet downstairs in the dining hall for breakfast."

Regina swallows, hard enough for both of them to understand her hesitation and fear. The older woman kindly steps out of the room, granting Regina the peace and quiet she needs to surrender to the moment and accept her fate. Except, Regina doesn't cry, that's not how she was raised, she was taught to mask her emotions in such a public place. And most importantly, to hide her emotions when she's feeling the most weak and vulnerable.