2. 𝓢𝓮𝓬𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮

[I highly recommend yall listen to the songs,
U send me swingin'
Bump, bump, bump by B2k
and
Cry for you by Jodeci ! That way yall will know how each song goes that the girls will be singing in this chapter! ]

"𝒥𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓂𝒶𝓀ℯ 𝓈𝓊𝓇ℯ 𝓉𝒽ℯ𝓎 𝒸ℴ𝓂ℯ 𝒸ℴ𝓇𝓇ℯ𝒸𝓉, ℐ 𝒽𝒶𝓋ℯ 𝒽𝒾ℊ𝒽 ℯ𝓍𝓅ℯ𝒸𝓉𝒶𝓉𝒾ℴ𝓃𝓈."

August 2, 1992

Los Angeles, California
5:00pm
Emani . "Mani"

"Bruh! Nobody wants to give us a fuckin chance yo

"Bruh! Nobody wants to give us a fuckin chance yo...what are we gonna do?!" I sigh in frustration. We all sat in the living room of Izzy and Tehmina's apartment that they share.

We have literally reached out to just about every major label out there. Everybody had the same dumb ass excuse, we're too 'problematic'...fuck these folks! The only label that's willing to even give us a shot is Deathrow Records and that was a hell naw. We've heard about Suge and we did a hard pass on that.

"Y'all don't feel defeated!" Miss Tia captured our attention. "Look, a good friend of mine that I used to go church with back in Charlotte has his own label called Swing Mob. Y'all know Devante Swing right? From Jodeci?"

We nodded our heads.

"Yeah! We know him, I'm a big fan of Jodeci," Tehmina got all googly eyed over just the sound of the band.

"Well let me call him up and see if he'll give y'all a shot, give me one sec," Miss Tia grabbed the plugged in phone and dialed a number that she looked up on her pager.

"Uhhh loord pleease let this work," I mumbled to myself, crossing my fingers and looking up in the sky.

Miss Tia put the call on speaker from the answering machine attatched to the phone. The phone rang a few times before he picked up.

"Hello?" A deep voice answered on the other end.

"Hey De! This is Tia"

"Hey T! Wassup? How ya been?"

"Good good! Just working hard, how about yourself?" She asked.

We sat and watched eagerly.

"Im cool, just been recording all day. Ya know how I roll," he chuckled.

"Yeah yeah same ole De," she laughed. "So um, as you know I manage the girl group EXIT 22..."

"Mmhm, yeah I heard about what happened. I'm sorry that happened to them, have they been able to be picked up by another label?" He asked sounding truly concerned.

"Well actually that's what I've been meaning to talk to you about...so uh basically we haven't had any luck with another label since the girls have been pretty problematic for the past year," Tia eyed us.