19. 𝓒𝓪𝓻𝓻𝔂 𝓞𝓷

"𝒯𝓇𝒶𝓅𝓅ℯ𝒹 𝒾𝓃 𝒶 𝒸ℴ𝓃𝒸ℯ𝓅𝓉, 𝒻𝒶𝓁𝓈ℯ𝓁𝓎 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝓊𝓈ℯ𝒹
ℳ𝒾𝓈𝓊𝓈ℯ𝒹 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓂𝒾𝓈𝓁ℯ𝒹.."

September 15, 1992

Rochester, NY
8 pm

.DeVante.

Everything's been put on hold since the incident the other day

Everything's been put on hold since the incident the other day. I haven't scheduled any studio time which is rare for me, but I'd rather be here for Izzy. Not even on no romantic shit, just as a friend. She needs me whether she knows it or not, I'm her protector. Why me? Because...who else? Izzy isn't close to her father, and it seems as though most of the men in her family are either far away, not shit, or she simply isn't close to them. I'm happy to step up because Izzy deserves that, hell all of the girls do. Ever since she moved in with me, she's locked herself in the guest room most of the time playing sad tunes on her guitar. I check on her frequently, but she just stares out the window or writes songs in her music notebook. On top of that, she still doesn't allow me to touch her...like at all. Not a hug, not a shoulder touch, nothing... I hate this shit, but I want to give her her space and time to cope.

I sat in the living room watching Family Matters when suddenly I hear Izzy's pager going off. She must've left it in here. I picked it up and glanced at it, it read 'Mama'. I don't think she even told her mom what happened to her and I'm sure she didn't plan on it anytime soon. I walked up the stairs to her room and lightly knocked on it. Like I expected, she didn't say anything so I just spoke through the door. "Hey babygirl, your mom just called."

A few moments passed before she opened the door with a blank expression on her face. My poor baby.. Without a word she took her pager from my hand and walked downstairs to the kitchen phone with me following behind her. She took the phone off the hook and sat at the dining room table, I sat across from her with a concerned look on my face. God I miss her...the old her, the happy her.

"Hola Mama," her voice was low and mono-toned.

.
.

.Izzah. Izzy.

 Izzy