Chapter 37 : In Love With The Devil

Anika couldn't even form words in her mind, forget about speaking them out. She was overwhelmed at the moment. She did not hurry. She simply stared at him in awe. Her heart ached for him. She was madly in love with him. Very very, madly in love. 

"Cat caught your tongue, Miss Sharma?" He did not tear his gaze away. She smiled. Silence couldn't lie. That is why he initiated a conversation. So typical of him. 

"Silence has a lot of answers, sometimes listen to it."

He raised a brow, "so you're into philosophy, now."

"You seem so excited about it." She grinned fitting her fingers into the grooves between his. 

He was charmed. Charmed by her beauty, her attitude. Before him, stood a stronger woman. A woman he always wanted to see in her. That part of her, which she had suppressed due to her self pity. She was his match. Devilish. Did she call him the devil? She was a freaking devil. Because she made him want to sin. Her glossy lips seducing him as she spoke. Her dark eyes gazing at him through those fluttering lashes. Her saree clad body tempted him. Those desires came rushing back. 

"What happen Mr.Oberoi, the cat caught your tongue?" She smiled. 

He was truly bowled over. Maybe that he had missed her, too much. He had traveled to Japan, Singapore, the Philippines for his business trips in hope that he would get her out of his system. To some extent, he thought he had. But she was like a bad habit, wouldn't leave him. He loved how she gave him back his own words. So much that he could kiss her lips right now to express it.

"You are staring." She spoke releasing her grip on his hand. Her heart was left unsettled. 

"Yeah, wondering what happened to you." He blurted out trying to keep his lust in check. 

"Your free advice worked, I suppose. Maybe being around you was just toxic for me." She held his gaze as she spoke. She did not miss that twitch of his lips. 

"So, what is on your list next? More kids?" He twisted his lips.

Anika's confidence momentarily slipped as she registered his words. "I need a husband for that, don't I?" It was hard, but she wanted to play bold with him. If he showed that he wasn't affected then she would too. 

"I thought that Major ..wait...what was his name now?"

Anika smiled. "You seem to know so much about me more than I do. " 

His smile slipped down.

"I know your ways." She spoke placing both her palms on his shoulder as she swayed a little. 

"He seemed like a nice option." He spoke resting his palms on her sides. 

"I had someone else on my mind. I don't settle for anything less." Once again she smiled holding his gaze. With every passing minute this was getting harder. He showed no sign that he wanted what she wanted. Togetherness. With each passing minute her courage was dropping. She did not want to cry before him. Not again. She maintained her cool on the outside but she was on fire inside.

He said nothing but simply held her gaze. His palms pressing against her bare skin at the waist, pulling her closer. Anika hitched in a sharp breath. She couldn't stand this proximity. She feared she would explode. The strong tension between them was like dense clouds. The emotional turmoil between then was like tangled branches of a fragile climber. 

"Why is this so hard?" She whispered gazing at him with hope twinkling in her eyes. 

"You won't give up?" He asked softly. Anika's heart contracted with anticipation.