Chapter 14 - With The Devil

"Mr. Oberoi." She called out to him again. This time snapping her fingers before his eyes. He looked at her with his glazed eyes.

"You're free." She said softly looking down at his feet. The words resonated in his ears. He once again let his eyes meet her. He had either forgotten how to read eyes or she simply had too much in them, all muddled up, for him to decipher.

"We need to get out as soon as we can. "She spoke glancing at her watch. "Those men would have informed him- that - I never reached the other end of the road." She spoke blinking more while sweat beads from her forehead trickled down her temple. She rubbed them off staring at him. Was he so hurt by the torture that he couldn't even plainly understand what she was saying? She gently tapped his arm above his left elbow making sure he wasn't wounded there.

He blinked and looked at his arm where she had touched. Anika gulped instinctively taking a small step back. He took a deep breath and ignoring the pain his body felt he walked to the gate with her close behind him.

"This way!" She said pointing to the narrow road she had earlier walked halfway, when she saw his gaze oscillate between the two roads. The other road had marks of tires of the car.

"This?" he asked.

"Bhargav probably took that road with his car. He had asked me to walk out from here saying that his was a fifteen minutes walk to the road where I could find transport. He said his men were at the end of the road and he would know if I didn't reach. And if he already knows he would be coming back. He'll come back from that way considering his vehicle won't make it through this. But..the men will be this side." She was speaking rapidly rubbing the sweat of her forehead. Either ways there was a trap. 

"Why did you come back?" he asked astonished staring at her.

She tore her gaze away from the roads and shifted her dilemma from the roads to him. She chose to not to answer. "This road." she said pointing to the narrower of the two. That road perhaps is longer at least this is flocked by the cover of trees on either side." She said starting to  move toward the road.

She turned back to find him standing rooted to the spot. "Are you waiting for him to come back?" She asked turning, sarcasm dripping in her voice.

He slowly raised his gaze from the ground to her. Could he trust her? She had set him free. How could he not? Trust her Shivaay! His gut told and he did.

They walked through the path. It had been six minutes and a fraction more. Anika fished out her phone checking the network. She popped it back sighing. She looked at him. He stared back she turned her gaze to the road.

A little more ahead they heard voices of men. Anika stood still, gulping in fear. This was the end. She would be doomed. So much to help someone. That someone being the devil for a man! She took a deep breath and turned to him. He seemed to have already worked a plan in his head. He caught hold of her wrist and indicated her to run sideways. It was just a crowd of trees and unruly bushes. She had no time to think. As long as those men did not get to her. Besides there was an inexpiable trust she had formed on him. Despite, everything!