Chapter 26 : Can't Keep The Devil Away

Despite not wanting to, Anika found herself looking at him from the corner of her eyes. He was grinning, smiling warmly, laughing heartily. She hated it. He slept with her and behaved rudely, smiled coldly. While everyone else in the world seemed to have his vetter side. Why did she deserve his devil side? Annoyed she pricked the paneer tikka with the toothpick and stuffed it in her mouth.

It had barely been a minute. She turned her eyes slowly and tried looking at him. Her head turned in surprise. He was walking the woman to the dance floor. No, it made no difference to her, not at all. She took a deep breath and told herself that repeatedly. She had no clue why all of a sudden he had begun occupying more space in her mind. Perhaps the night made the difference. But then she did not even remember it entirely. Anika decided she needed fresh air. His eyes met hers. She noticed his arm around the woman's waist. They were so close. Anika felt like a fireball was released in her nerves. Why was she so affected? She didn't give a damn, whatever he did. She shouldn't. But she was. Oh, what was wrong with her these days!

Wiping her mouth with the napkin she kept it aside and walked out. She felt much better as soon as she had stepped into the garden. She heard someone speaking. She moved closer to the source of sound cautiously.

"Mom, please. This isn't fair.  I have always done whatever you asked. At least let me choose my wife, if not the time when I decide to marry. I am not meeting any girl you send me to. I don't want a rich princess, they're all spoilt. I just want a simple girl who can, who can be happy with me. Whose smile is enough to make my day. Who takes care of me as you do. You get the point right? I am not meeting Deepali. As for your daughter and son in law, I have made things okay between them. You owe me for that. " 

Anika found herself smiling listening to his voice. The same man who she had collided with earlier. Avinash. 

She peeked at him when she heard him chuckle. "Mom trust me they are happy. Just a stupid couple fight. You should stop getting worried over them. They have been married for more than a year now. They know how it works. Currently, those two are happily dancing away and I feel all left out, third-wheeling with them. "

Anika grinned. It was wrong to eavesdrop into someone else's conversation but Anika couldn't resist the temptation. He seemed like a nice guy. But then she was in a world where everyone seemed nice. She frowned as her thoughts pivoted back to the devil.  What did that jerk think of himself! Oh God, what had she dragged her self into. He was a completely ruthless, stubborn arrogant man who was dangerous, how could she grow something for him in her heart. 

"Hey there, hi. Again!" His smooth voice made her jump out of her thoughts. 

"Hi!" Anika almost squeaked embarrassed. 

"So you were..umm, listening?"

"No." Anika lied. "I just came." She added stupidly.

He gave her a warm smile. She was sure that a smile could warm many hearts. Just like the devil's could freeze many worlds.

"Oh. Well, I would like some company. In there I felt left out. With the couples getting all cozy. " he smiled shyly.