Chapter 33 : Fallen For The Devil

Anika's steps were slow as she made her way towards the exit of the building. Her PD instructor, Mrs. Gill was impressed with her presentation. Anika smiled, remembering her school days. She was in the fifth standard when she had to give her the first presentation. She wasn't the confident orator. Anika hated crowd attention from the very beginning. However, for her first-ever presentation, her mother had prepared her so well. Until late in the night they had sat going over it, again and again. Finally, Anika had somehow managed to not bunk that class. She wouldn't have been excellent but she did pretty well. 

Today's day wasn't that bad. From buying roses early in the morning to making sure they reached his desk without being captured in any of the cameras in the office. Indeed, Anika had fun. His face was a treat to watch with that dumbfounded expression. She smiled. But the man was a pain, a real pain. Why couldn't he accept he had feelings for her?  Why did he have to be so twisted? 

But again, she couldn't blame him. She knew his past. Aditi. She remembered the name. She wondered how he would have been before her. Before his younger brother's, death. She couldn't recollect the name of the younger brother.  Was he like this or was he different? Did he smile warmly before? Was he kind? What about his dad? She remembered Bhargav saying something along the lines of his father living with his mistress. Was it true? Damn, what were these Oberoi men? Tej and Shakti both were living away from their family with their respective mistress. This was bad news. Was it in their DNA or something? Was Shivaay like that too?

Her thoughts went back tot he night. A night she didn't remember entirely but remembered in bits. He couldn't be drunk. Certainly, not. Was he using her? Had he been using her?  She should hate him. But she couldn't find it in herself to hate him. The only person who gave a damn about her life. Well, there was a side of him that cared. That made sure she was okay. She remembered how he came perfectly on time to save her from Bhargav. She remembered what she overheard from the conversation he had with Bhavya. She understood why he had imposed the PD and Defense training on her. He cared. Period. 

Then there was her heart these days. It warmed up at his sight. Anika knew her feelings were a mess. She had fought against a lot in life. Now, she wanted to fight for him. Anything to have him by her side. Anything! She saw him as the only hope in her hopeless life. Someone who promised a better life. She was in the darkest turbulent waters and he was like that mighty ship. He could either leave her to drown or take her with him.

But like always, her life would never let her have the easy way. Even though he cared he did not show it. Even though he loved her he declined it. Anika won't blame him. Life had turned him so hard that he couldn't melt.  Even if he wanted to. She smiled sadly. He wanted that loyal love she was overflowing with. She wanted that warmth, care, and a little love that he had locked away in his deepest corners. She had to get to that corner and unlock him. The more he tried to make her hate him, the more she fell for him. 

Her eyes lit up with a new shine. It was raining! That meant...the devil would send his angel. She smiled, looking at her watch. Opening her umbrella she stepped out and stood admiring the rain. The fresh scent that arose when the rain met the earth tantalized her senses. How she wished she could let the rain drench her! But, if she did that, she might catch a terrible cold. A cold could lead to fever and then body pain. Then she would be miserable. Sitting all by herself running a temperature. She recollected those days when she deliberately danced in the rain while returning from school so that she fell sick and could stay home under her parents' care. A lone tear escaped her eye. Home wasn't a home anymore, it was an empty flat. 

A woman's loud 'hi' made her look ahead. There she was, Bhavya. Anika smiled waving. Bhavya signaled her to get in. Anika approached her car. "Come on, in." She spoke sweetly.