Chapter 9

"So what was that about," Kaleb asked as we got to the library. I glanced up at him and quickly looked back down. "Uh, it was nothing really. It was just a little… disagreement, I guess. We're biology partners, sadly." He nodded in understanding and opened the library door for me to walk in. 

        "Fun fact," he began. "My mother is the librarian here." I looked up in surprise. "Really? Um, is that a good thing or a bad thing," I asked. 

        He gave a small chuckle. "A little bit of both, but I love my mom, so I don't really care what other people think." I gave him a small smile. "Do I get to meet her?" He nodded and led me to the little back office. He tapped on a door that was off to the side and cracked it open.

       "Hey, Ma. The new member is here." A woman came to the door and opened it all the way. She was… tiny. I had no idea how this woman was able to give birth to this towering guy in front of me. I must not have hidden my expression well enough, because Kaleb looked at me and said "I was adopted." 

      His mother looked up at me, her pale, creamy skin was flawless and she looked like she could have passed for her late twenties. Her nostrils flared for just a second when she looked at me, but she smiled kindly at me, her red lips spreading over her perfectly straight, white teeth.

       "Hello, dear. I'm Katherine, but you can call me Kathy." I took her small hand and shook it. "I'm Arianna." She shot a glance at Kaleb, but I had no clue what the hidden meaning was. He did though. His eyes widened and he stared down at me, his mouth agape. 

       I squirmed under his gaze. "What," I asked self consciously. He closed his mouth and gave a slight shake of his head. "Nothing. Let me show you where everything is so we can get you in training." He led me down the small corridor and into another door. There was a stack of books on a table, a note pad laying beside it. 

       "This is the archive. It's also where we put the new entries before we put the sticker and stamp on them." He showed me the basics, like adding the books to the check out lists, how the library is assorted, and he told me that they swap out the vacuuming weeks. 

       I set my bag down in the corner and listened to his instructions. It was four o'clock when we finished up and I bid a farewell to Kaleb and Kathy. I left the library, but right when I was about to leave the building and get locked out, I remembered my bag in the corner. 

       I walked back into the library and I heard them talking through Kathy's cracked office door. I wasn't much for eavesdropping, but when I heard my name, I was curious.

       "I sensed it as soon as she was in sight. Her power is strong and it won't be contained much longer. The worst part is that she doesn't even what she is, so when she shifts, it's going to be ugly," I wondered what Kathy was talking about. I thought I heard her say my name, but I don't think she was talking about me. 

       "So shouldn't we help her," Kaleb's voice spoke up. "No, Kaleb. She needs to find out from her parents. They will be the best ones to help her." I heard Kaleb let out what sounded like a harsh, inhuman snarl. 

       "What if they plan to keep her in the dark? Then what's she gonna do? She'll be unwelcome in the pack and she'll be wandering, lost and helpless." I heard Kathy mumble something unintelligible. 

        "Arianna will be just fine, Kaleb. She still has some time before she shifts, so she should be okay. You're a vampire, hun. You shouldn't mingle with the werewolves." I felt a chill run up my back at Kathy's words. What did she mean by that? She couldn't possibly have meant that Kaleb was a vampire. Could she? No. He just studies them. And what did she mean about werewolves? I was confused. 

       I quietly went into the archive and grabbed my bag, spinning around to head out of the door, only to see Kaleb standing in front of me. I let out a gasp and took a deep breath. "Jesus, Kaleb. You scared me," I said breathily. 

       "I thought you left already," he said. I lifted the bag that was still in my hand. "I did, but I had to come back and get this. See you tomorrow?" He nodded, seeming relieved and I gave him a smile, then left to find my car in the nearly empty lot.