Chapter 14

I was wrong. He didn't have a house. It was more of a freaking mansion. It was huge and the landscaping was well kept and I could see the underground pool in the back. "This is where you live," I asked in disbelief. He laughed and nodded. He pulled into a huge garage on the side of the house and there were four different cars there. Who needs four cars?

        I stepped out after he did and he didn't even bother locking the doors. I followed him inside and I stared in wonder and awe. The inside was modern with a few antiques here and there. The ceilings were high, the hardwood floors were a dark mahogany color, which I personally liked. He led me around the house, showing me the kitchen, living room, dining room, etc. We went upstairs and he led me down a big corridor. We went to the last one on the right and he opened the door for me.

        "This is going to be your room. The one across the hall is mine, so if you ever need anything, just let me know. I need to go find Kathy and let her know you're here, then I am gonna go hunting." I nodded and stepped inside the large bedroom and he shut the door. 

        It looked more like a master than a spare bedroom. It had a huge queen size bed in the middle, a long dresser, a walk-in closet, a big flat screen that was hooked to the wall, and a humongous bathroom. The bathroom had a stand up shower and a Jacuzzi tub with a double vanity. I wanted to take a shower, but I didn't have any clothes to change into. I needed to get a job soon, so that I could get some money and buy a new wardrobe.

        I left my new room and walked downstairs to the kitchen. Kathy was there, and I was guessing that Kaleb had already left. "Hey Miss Kathy," I greeted. She gave me a smile. "Call me Kathy honey." I nodded and she continued. "I'm so sorry to hear about your father honey. And your mama." 

        "It's okay. I hope you don't mind me staying here. I can leave if it's too much of a burden to you," I said. I did feel kind of bad for intruding in their home, and it felt even worse since Kaleb was the one to offer instead of Kathy, so I wasn't sure how she felt about it, but she waved me off.

       "Nonsense, girl. I don't mind you staying at all." She took a deep breath and said "But we need to go find you some new clothes. I can smell the smoke on ya." I looked down at my hands, embarrassed. 

       "Come with me and we'll make a day of it. Get to know each other a little better, yeah?" I looked up in surprise and shook my head. "That's okay. You don't need to buy me anything. I-" she cut me off with a stern glare. 

       "Just get in the car, Arianna," she ordered. I sighed in defeat and followed her to the garage. She led me to a small deep blue convertible and unlocked the doors. I stepped in and sat on the passenger side. She pulled away and we made small talk on the ride over, but other times there was a comfortable silence that settled between us. 

        We arrived at the mall and we walked to a womens clothing store. "Pick out whatever you like, just make sure you have a change of clothes everyday," she told me. I nodded and walked around. I ended up getting four pairs of jeans, five tee shirts, some underwear, and another pair of high tops. She paid for the clothes that we both got and then she took me to a little cafe around the corner. I don't drink coffee, so I just ordered a strawberry banana smoothie and we sat at one of the little outside tables. 

       "So you know about what happens on your eighteenth birthday," she questioned. I nodded while sucking from the straw. "If you're still with us when you shift, then we'll have to take a few precautions," she said. I raised my eyebrows. "Like what?"

        "Well we have a place out in the woods behind our house and it goes down into a cellar. We used to have werewolves come and ask us for help, so we would help. We'd put them in the strong steel chains so that when they shifted, they wouldn't be running rampage in the streets, scaring people. It is essential now, in this day and age, because the supernatural have become myth and legend to the people of today, so if they see you running around as a giant wolf in the streets, they might get a SWAT team after ya. And when you first shift, you'll be uncontrollable, so we don't want you hurting anybody," she explained.