Chapter 16

When we were going back to the mansion, I went upstairs to set my new bookbag down and take a shower. After washing my body and hair, I stepped out and went to my closet. I opened the door and gasped at what I saw there. The closet was fully stocked with clothes and shoes. I quickly went to my dresser and looked in the drawers. They were full of jeans, leggings, sweatpants, and shorts.

       A knock sounded at the door and I wrapped the towel tighter around me and opened the door. Kathy stood there, giving me a small smile. "Now I don't wanna hear no complaining. I went to the store after looking at your sizes and I took the liberty of buying ya a whole new wardrobe," she said. 

       I started to protest but she held up her hand. "If it don't fit, then it has a return policy." With that, she closed the door and left me standing there in my towel. I turned and browsed through the clothes. I ended up in a pair of black yoga pants and a cross fit tank top. There was another knock on the door and I opened it, expecting to see Kathy again, but instead it was Kaleb. 

       "Hey," he said. He seemed a lot calmer than he was earlier and less tense. "Hi. What's up," I said. "I just came to tell you that we were having a bonfire thing tonight. We usually do some kind of get together on Fridays, so I just wanted to let you know so you didn't freak out about a bunch of vampires roaming around." I lifted an eyebrow.

       "A house full of vampires… with a transitioning werewolf." He rolled his eyes and said "Don't worry. They can't hunt in a hundred mile radius of this place. Besides, you don't have to come down if you don't want to." I bit my lip for a second and sighed. "Is it formal or something?" He smiled and shook his head. "No. It's casual. So does that mean you're coming?" I nodded and he dipped his head and walked away. I closed the door and got started on my homework. 

       A couple hours later, yet another knock on my door. I opened it and Kaleb was there again, in different clothes than last time. "Party's gonna start soon. You coming?" I nodded and grabbed my phone, then followed Kaleb downstairs. We went out to the huge backyard where Kathy was setting up giant logs around a pile of wood, which I'm guessing is the bonfire. 

       Kathy looked at us when we walked out and said "Arianna, come help me with these logs. Kaleb, go welcome in the guests." He nodded and went back inside while I walked over, helping her move the logs to a different position.

       Kaleb came back a minute later with a guy that was just a couple inches shorter than him. His pale milky skin looked flawless and smooth. He was good looking, but none of that would matter to me if he was a douche bag. Or, you know, he drained me of my blood, then nothing would matter because I'd either be dead or a vampire. Can a werewolf change into a vampire?

       I pushed the question aside and Kaleb walked over with his friend. "Anna, this is Jordan. He's been my friend since the early 1800s." Jordans dark brown hair was pushed back out of his eyes. He smiled at me and then his eyes widened and his pupils turned to pinpoints. His smile fell and his mouth opened as if he was about to say something. 

       I smiled awkwardly and shot a glance at Kaleb, who was focusing his attention on Jordan. Jordan licked his lips and I took a cautious step back. "You smell wonderful," he said. Kaleb stepped in front of Jordan and gave him a warning glare. Jordan's eyes widened and he cleared his throat. 

       "I am terribly sorry about that. Um, nice to meet you Anna," Jordan apologized. I gave him a nervous smile and shook his cold, outstretched hand. His eyes were a startling amber color and they seemed mesmerizing. "Its okay," I reassured quietly. I gave him a small smile and he turned to Kathy, walking over and giving her a hug which she returned.

       I felt a cold hand clasp mine and I glanced down then tilted my head up to smile at Kaleb, remembering our kiss in the bathroom. I didn't know what it meant for our relationship, and I wasn't completely sure if I wanted to know and I definitely wasn't going to ask him about it.

       Kathy's voice broke our eye contact. "Kaleb, aren't you supposed to be greeting the guests?" I looked over at Kathy, but Kaleb's eyes stayed on me. "Yes ma'am," he replied. He went to let go of my hand but I held on tighter. "Can I come," I asked quietly. I didn't want to be stuck alone here with Jordan and his creepy stare, but Kaleb must have thought I had a different motive. He hesitated for a second then glanced at Kathy. "Uh, sure. Come on." He pulled me after him, never letting go of my hand. 

       More people, or vampires, arrived, and Kaleb directed them towards the backyard. They all looked longingly at me, a mix of hunger, confusion, and desire in their eyes, but Kaleb always planted himself in front of me, protecting me from them. When the last vampire arrived and Kaleb was closing the door, I caught sight of a black Tahoe parked closer to the house. I wondered whose it was when I felt a jarring chill shoot up my back. I was trying to look closer at the car, but the door closed and Kaleb looked at me with furrowed brows. 

       "You okay," he asked me. I shook my head to clear it and gave him a timid smile. "Yeah. I'm fine," I said, but he looked as convinced as I felt, which I wasn't at all.

Dani's P.O.V.       

       I had been sitting in front of the vampires house for hours. I knew she was here, because I followed them after school. I've been sitting in my black Tahoe, hesitating. I wanted desperately to go find her and explain, to make her see reason. Even if she didn't forgive me, I wanted her to know the truth. I knew that the Fallen Angels were going to burn her house down, but I didn't think they would kill her father, which was why I had done my best to make sure he'd be held up at a meeting, so that he wouldn't be there. 

       I didn't want her coming to any harm either, which is why I went the extra length to make sure she was by my side all night, so that I could keep a close eye on her. I winced as I remembered the pain on her face when her father was covered with the tarp, how she kicked and screamed at me, pushing against my chest. 

       I wanted to tell her the truth, which was why I was here, but I was sworn to secrecy. That's why I'm still on the side if the road, arguing with myself about why this is a disastrous idea. I could get banished, or even worse get her killed. She deserved honesty though. 

       I had made my resolve, but when I was about to step out, a dark blue Lamborghini pulled up and parked in front of me. A guy stepped out, throwing glances my way, his dark brown hair and pale skin contrasting. An inner instinct told me that it was a vampire. Which meant I'd have to wait until they left. Then more started arriving and I mentally cursed myself for being a pussy and not telling her sooner. I could wait a couple hours though, right?

        I settled back to get comfortable and wait and after half an hour, the last guy walked in and I caught a glimpse of the other side of the door. She was there, staring at me. Or at my car, but it felt like she was looking straight at me. That's when I noticed she was holding hands with the guy she was with at school. 

       I glared at the vampire, though he couldn't see it. He wasn't even right for her! He was a vampire and she was a werewolf. I snorted and shook my head. I'm being such a fucking hypocrite. It's not like I, a fallen angel, am any better for her than he is. I shook my head to clear the thoughts as the door closed. Why was I getting so mad about something as innocent as hand holding? 

        A few hours later, the smoke and fire went out in the backyard and all the guests had left. I steeled myself to get out and walk up to the door when a light came on upstairs. I looked up and the curtains were drawn back, revealing Arianna and the vampire. He was smiling while she was talking, waving her hands around animatedly. I smiled to myself when I remembered her doing that while we were talking, but then my smile quickly fell away.

        She had her hands on his neck and she pulled him down to her. Their lips connected and his arms snaked around her waist I felt a flare of anger and all hope quickly vanished. I banged my hand on the steering wheel. "Goddammit!" I wanted her to know the truth as soon as possible, but right now, I needed to get away. I revved the engine and peeled away from the curb, speeding.