Chapter 2

I told him that I wasn't going to dress fancy, but that didn't mean that I wasn't going to try either. I found a red, flowy dress that came down to my knees with a sweetheart neckline, then I put on my red converse, a little mascara and some cherry red lipstick. That was about as far as I went in the makeup department, because I had no idea how to use all that powder and bronzer bullshit. 

       I put in my frizz control for my hair then looked at my outfit in the mirror. I had always gotten compliments that I looked good in red, because it went so well with my caramel colored skin. I walked downstairs and Dad was wearing black slacks and a white button up shirt that contrasted with his dark chocolate skin. 

       We walked out and got into Dad's black Camaro. We drove downtown in silence until Dad finally spoke up. "So you excited for your new school next week?" I sighed. I wasn't too thrilled about that, actually. A new school meant a new life, which meant new friends, or not. My hypothesis is that when you change schools, you had friends, but now you don't and it will be like the complete opposite. If you were popular there, you won't be here.

       "Yeah," I lied. He glanced at me and stared out the windshield, not saying another word. We arrived at the giant mansion, bright lights streaming through the window. My dad handed his keys to the valet and we walked inside. There were a lot of older people there, there were only a few younger ones and even they looked to be in their twenties. Dad worked for a huge billion dollar company called Kitsune which Dad told me that they make technology and have a lot of branches scattered around North America.

        Dad stopped to talk to someone who I recognized as Michael, his coworker. I immediately stepped away because the guy creeped me out. He would always look at me funny, like he was expecting something. He was younger than my dad with his dark hair and his milky white skin and dark beady eyes. As I passed by, he looked at me with that look of expectation. It always creeped me out and just like every other time, I walked away.

       I found the snack bar and the only thing I was able to distinguish was the pigs in a blanket, so I grabbed a tiny little paper plate and put four of them on the plate.

       I was just turning to back away from the elongated table when I bumped into someone. I balanced my miniature weenies and muttered an apology. "I'm so sorry. I wasn't looking." I didn't hesitate to pick one of the snacks up and shove it in my mouth to keep me from speaking further to the dickhead who bumped into me. I looked up, chewing, into the most intense, hazel eyes that I had ever seen. The guy had to be around my age.

       He was wearing a light gray tee and blue jeans. His skin tone was lighter than mine, but he was white. It was a creamy light brown and his mouth was set in a line. His kinky black curls were cropped short and he had a slight, thin stubble along his jawline. His eyelashes were long and thick as he looked up at me and blinked. He was completely silent as I stood there, staring at him. I suddenly felt embarrassed and my cheeks heated as I mumbled another apology and walked away.