Chapter 29

Kaleb's P.O.V.

        Some say ignorance is bliss. Considering what I heard in the forest, I can't say that I disagree with that notion. 

         I didn't know anything about a claiming moon. I knew that werewolves had mates, but I didn't think it was like that. I didn't know what I was feeling, but it definitely wasn't anything good. If she has a claiming moon, then I definitely don't have a chance with her. It's even worse than before now.

         I have zero shots because once she sees the one then it's game over. But it was never a game for me. Now I'm worried. What if she wants nothing to do with me after she sees him? Is it gonna be Dani? What if it's some weird bastards who has no respect for women? She wouldn't fall for that kind of guy would she? 

         Another thought ran through my head. What if it's a human? It's a terrible feeling to know that there's a possibility that you're competing with a human for woman's heart. What if he can't handle the truth about her? She'll have to tell him at some point if he's going to be her mate for life. What's going to happen when the human dies? I could be there to pick up the pieces. If Dani isn't there already. Even if he was, I'd still try to help her.

         I shook the thoughts from my head and focused in on the training again. Her mom, which I've learned that her name is Serena, is still talking about the Claiming moon. I am very grateful now that Kathy made me learn the language of the Moon, which was what they were speaking in. 

          "After the Claiming moon, then you could fall for anyone. Whether it's a werewolf, human, Angel, vampire, warlock, wizard. It doesn't matter. As long as it's the one then it'll work out," came Serena's voice.

          Now it was Anna who spoke up. "What if they're human and I out live them? If I'm going to love them like you say I will, then won't that destroy me?"

          "No. Once you claim them as yours, then they will have the same lifespan as you. To claim your mate so that other creatures know that they are yours, they have to accept you too. They have to love you back and then once you… ya know, 'twitterpate' with them, then it's final. They're yours forever and you have nothing to worry about," Serena explained.

         Anna was silent for a few moments and I wondered what she was thinking about. Finally, she spoke. "So if I were to claim a fallen angel, then it wouldn't change anything?" I immediately tuned out. I knew she didn't want me. And that hurt so badly. I turned and walked out of the house without a word. Dani was sitting on the sofa in the living room. He gave me a strange look that was a mix between pity and triumph. 

        He was reading my mind, which meant he heard the conversation that I heard. God, he was so fucking annoying. I clenched my jaw and walked out the door. I was mad and upset. Why couldn't I just be good enough for her? That's the one thing that I so badly wanted, but couldn't have. Once I was out of the mansion, I ran and I didn't give a damn if anyone saw me.

Arianna's P.O.V.

       After we were done talking, she led me deeper through the forest. We were going to meet the pack again. When we got to the familiar clearing, she stopped and I did too. The others must have picked up our scent because they were already on their way out of the dens. Mom explained why I was back again so soon and began to introduce me once more. 

         First, a huge, jet black wolf stepped forward. His eyes were intimidating. They were like a colorless, clear gray and all you could see was the pupil and a dark ring around the iris. I remembered him as Alpha Grey. He was the only one that I remembered though, since I could never erase those strange, cold eyes from my memory. He was actually polite, despite his dominating exterior.

        Next, I met Luna Sky. She was sweet, but I noticed her proud stance. I could feel the power of dominace flowing from her and it was almost as strong as Alpha Grey's. She was a russet color and her eyes were a piercing, vivid green.

          Then I met the Beta, Jordan. He held himself with superiority and I instantly pegged him as the snobbish type, but he was undoubtedly beautiful with his sky blue eyes against his dark gray coat.

        The Delta, whose name was coincidentally Della, was super sweet. She was one of the younger ones and I could already tell that she had a good heart. Her coat was the color of melted honey and her eyes were a green color, the same color as Dani's. 

       The rest of the pack was introduced in a blur. I met the Elders again, the Healer (more formally known as the Salutary), the Warriors, the Hunters, the Sentinels, Scouts, Guardians, and of course, I'm the Omega. The only one's that I didn't meet were the den mothers. 

        They looked after the younger werewolves, and I had learned from Mom that sometimes, a female werewolf can give birth to a pup. It's kind of strange, considering the whole human to werewolf thing, but I'm not here to ask questions.

        Afterwards, I say goodbye. I was dog-tired (hehe, get my canine joke?) and I needed sleep. Although I had slept most of the day, I didn't want to lose another night of sleep. I walked through the forest alone and suddenly the hairs on my hackles rose. I whipped my head to the side to see what the strange and unfamiliar presence was. Before I knew what was happening, my lip rose, baring my elongated and sharp fangs and a guttural growl sounded from within me.

       A monstrous wolf, even bigger than Alpha Grey slunk out of the thick undergrowth. His dark brown fur blended in with the surroundings. His piercing gold eyes sliced through me. I could feel the power he carried, yet I knew that he was a rogue. He had no pack, which meant he did not respect pack values. 

        He was growling and snarling just like I was. We paced and circled each other. Suddenly, he stood up straight, to his full height and the scowl left his face as his eyes raked over me. He took a deep inhale through his nose and his eyes widened. 

        I didn't know what caused him to stop. I stopped too, though I was still baring my fangs and growling. He closed his eyes, dipped his head, then ran away, leaving me confused. Do I go after him? Why did he suddenly decide I wasn't worth it? Why did he leave looking… respectful? I was just an Omega. 

       All these questions were running through my mind, but only one stuck with me. Who was he? I turned it over in my head, contemplating as I walked back home.