Chapter 8

I went to school the next morning, feeling nervous as to what would be waiting for me. I felt like it would be awkward if I had to talk to Dani today. I pulled in the parking lot, finding my usual spot next to the big, black motorcycle and got out of my car. 

      I walked up into the building and felt my hairs stand on my arm. I turned and jumped when I saw Kaleb behind me, a lopsided smile on his face. I stopped walking and turned to him. "Hey. You are really quiet for such a tall dude." This made him grin from ear to ear. "Thanks," he said.

       I smiled back. "No problem," I said, though I had meant it more as a statement than a compliment. I pulled the folded paper from my pocket and handed it to him. He grabbed it, his fingers brushing mine and I involuntarily flinched back. 

        "I'm sorry," I said quickly. "That was rude, but your fingers are freezing." He shrugged, looking away with a smile.

        "It's fine. I just have bad circulation in my hands," he explained. I nodded, but I still felt bad. "So, lunch in the library today, right," he asked. I nodded my confirmation and the bell rang. He smiled and waved goodbye and rushed off to his next class. I scurried off to my own and waited until lunch.

        I walked into the library to see that Kaleb was already sitting at the corner table. I sat in my seat across from him and pulled an apple I had brought. I took a crunchy bite of it and he smiled. 

       I offered him some and like yesterday, he shook his head. "I've never seen you eat before," I said. He lifted a shoulder and said "it's only been three days. Besides, you wouldn't want to see me eat anyway." I tilted my head. 

        "Why not," I asked curiously. A hint of a smile threatened his lips, but it vanished as quickly as it had appeared. "I'm a messy eater," he said.

        I gave a small smile, but his expression didn't change. I tried to break the ice with a question. "So what do you do in your free time?" 

       "I like to read, and work here at the library," he said. I lifted an eyebrow. "Is that all?" He nodded.

       "What about you," he asked me. "I like reading, of course, and drawing, and playing the guitar," I said. He smiled and leaned his elbows on the table. "Are you going to write a song for me?" I laughed at his question and shook my head. 

       "God, no. I can't sing. Or write lyrics," I said, smiling. He cocked an eyebrow. "But if you could, would you?" I shrugged. "Probably not, no offense. I don't think I would know what to put on the paper." He smiled and we talked about my song writing disability until the bell rang.

       We stood up and I grabbed my bookbag from the floor and slung it over my shoulder. We said our goodbyes for today and agreed to meet again tomorrow. 

       As the time for biology came closer, my nerves were shot. I wasn't sure what would happen, what I should say or do. I'm not really big on relationships, if that's even what this thing between us is. Maybe he woyld just ignore me like he did yesterday. Maybe he would actually talk to me instead.

       Either way, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do.  I walked to the classroom, only to meet him at the door. He stopped and gave me his gorgeous full smile. He held his to gesture inside the room. After you, Angel. The sides of my mouth hitched up and I walked inside, taking my usual seat. 

        He sat beside me, but he didn't say a word. I glanced at him before turning my attention back to Mr McMullen. Was he really going to act like nothing had happened last night? Why had I not questioned the fact that he could speak into my mind until now.

        I looked over at him again to see that he was already staring at me. I opened my mouth to ask him, but I closed it at the last second. What if I'm just imagining it? Am I? No. I know that I wasn't just imagining it. He lifted an eyebrow in question. I opened my mouth to ask him, but again, I closed it. 

        I turned back to the front, feeling his gaze sweep over me and then focus on my face. It felt like an eternity before the last bell rang, dismissing us. I stood up and grabbed Dani's arm before he left. "How do you speak in my head," I asked. He smirked and raised his hands to wave an arch in the air. "Magic," he said. 

        I narrowed my eyes and huffed a breath, not appreciating his sarcasm. "You're not funny," I told him. This only made him smile and he said "No, but I'm a good kisser, though, right?" I felt blood flush my cheeks and even through my caramel skin, you could see the tinge of pink. "I never said that," I told him.

        His grin grew wider. "No, but you were thinking it." I curled my hand into a fist. Don't deny it, Angel. I can see everything inside that pretty little head of yours. I swallowed and pushed past him to storm out of the door. I heard his long stride catching up to me, but he didn't stop me until we were out in the schoolyard. 

        "Get out of my head, Dani," I told him, just as I had the night before. "Sure. I can get out, but that won't stop you from thinking of me. You want me, remember," he said with an arrogant smirk on his face. "No. I don't remember. I remember you telling me that, but that could have been you playing some mind trick on me or something. What happened last night meant absolutely nothing to me," I said coldly. 

        He snorted and said "Let me know when you stop lying to yourself, Angel." I locked my jaw and it felt as if I had to grind the words through my teeth. "Let me know when you stop telling yourself that I'm lying," I retorted.

         He rolled his eyes and lifted his hand up to my face. I smacked it away without a seconds hesitation. I wanted to actually hit something. I didn't really know why I was so angry, but I was and I wanted to relieve the tension I felt in my hands. It was even more strange, because I'm not really a violent person. 

        Dani tensed and looked over my shoulder. I felt familiar cool breath fan across my neck and I turned and looked up to see Kaleb. He was glaring at Dani, and Dani was doing the same to Kaleb. "Everything okay, Arianna," Kaleb asked. I nodded and turned my body towards him, trying to avoid looking back at Dani's menacing expression. "Yeah. I'm fine. Um, do you want to go to the library now," I asked him. 

        I had almost forgotten that I was supposed to meet him in the library for the council until he appeared. He looked down at me and dipped his head. I took one last glance at Dani, who was turning away to leave. As if he felt my eyes on him, he turned and we locked eyes while he gave me a cold glare. We'll talk later, Angel. I felt a chill run up my back and I looked away, walking with Kaleb.