Venice Beach

The warm water of the shower removes all the strain on my neck after my uncomfortable sleep I shared with Colby. The single bed sharing is awful, I would like to find myself a job and start renting a flat off campus. My parents done the same in their second year, but I also enjoy the dorms with Rose. I towel dry my hair and wrap another towel around me before heading to my dorm.

"Morning." I smile at Roselyn, her music fills the room as she applies her makeup. "Hey, it's Saturday." She hums.

"How was your sleepover with Colby?" She mocks, I sit down on the bed, brushing out my wet hair. "I had a really good day with him yesterday, he's super sweet and I'm enjoying my time with him. There's been no arguing." She nods, "Do you think you guys will make it official shortly?" She asks, turning to me in her chair.

I shrug, placing my hairbrush down. "I don't know, I think commitment is a really big thing for him. Last night, as I drifted off to sleep, I heard him say something along the lines of 'What have I done' it was strange." I frown, as does she. "You didn't confront him?" She tilts her head.

I look out the window with a sigh, "Nah, maybe I'll go to this party tonight and have a chat with him, it's probably nothing but I want to be sure." "Yeah of course, now get ready, we're going to Venice beach to catch some sun." She chirps.

"Oh really?" I stand to my feet, going through my clothes to find a bikini. "Yeah, I spoke to Kendall last night and she told me everyone's going, it's going to be hot out today." I find a black bikini and start getting dressed. I hope everyone includes Colby, maybe I can talk to him about what I heard before the party.

I cover my bikini with some denim shorts and a baggy white T-shirt that I knot at the waist, pulling on my white trainers. I decide to tie my hair up after it's dried and rock a bare face.

—-

"Here we are." I pull into a free space at the beach, the sun really is beating down today. I tell Roselyn I'll meet her on the beach and she sets off with our stuff, I pull out my phone and give my mom a call. "Hey." I smile as I hear her pick up, "Honey! Are you ok, you've barely called us this week." She asks, I look ahead at the crowds of people making their way onto the beach. "Yeah mom, I've just been busy that's all.." She hums at my response before gasping "Have you met a boy Aliyah?!" she squeals, I stay silent which eagers her more "Tell me everything! Your dad and the boys are away to a soccer thing and I've been in desperate need of girl talk." I laugh, climbing out the car as I continue to talk. 

"Well, I wouldn't say he is my type, but he's good to me. We've been having a lot of fun together, I'm actually at Venice beach right now. It's hot out." I smile as I hear her laugh. "Aw honey. Be careful okay, I miss you so much." I bite my lip, "I miss you too mom, Thanksgiving won't be much longer. I love you" "I love you too" and with that I push my phone back into my pocket as I head onto the sand.

"This is a good spot" Roselyn tells me, placing a blanket down for us, I take a seat, removing my t-shirt. "Hey guys!" Kendall's voice sounds behind us, followed by the voice of a few familiar faces. I place my shirt down and stand to my feet, my eyes wander but I don't see any sign of Colby, part of me is relieved. "Sup" I look at Jake with a smile, him and Tara approach hand in hand. "Hey, How's it going?" I ask, we take a seat and the conversation blooms about class.

Jake and Tara don't stay long, I did wonder why they were here if Jake told me they were spending the day alone. I did see Brennen, Sam and Corey in the crowd that arrived on the beach earlier, But I haven't had any awkward encounters as of yet and I'd like to leave it that way. I pull my towel out my bag and find a quieter bit of sand, still by everyone but just not too close that they may make conversation, pulling off my shorts I begin to apply sunscreen.

"Do you need a hand?" Colby's voice whispers in my ear, causing me to jump. I turn to him with a confused expression in which he laughs, throwing himself down in the sand beside me. "Hi, I didn't think you were coming" I tilt my head, closing the sunscreen bottle. He looks at me, "I wasn't, the beach is boring. But, Sam told me you were here." I glance to Sam who is busy drinking out of a beer bottle.

"You didn't need to come just because I was here you know." I state, crossing my legs, Colby stares at me for a moment with a raised eyebrow and suddenly I feel self conscious of being sat in a bikini in front of him. "Do you want me to go" He stands to his feet, I frown and shake my head. "No" I say stern, he chuckles before pulling his shirt over his head. "Do you want to jump in the water?" He asks, pulling off his black jeans to reveal boxers. I stand to my feet, wiping the sand off my knees, "You didn't bring trunks?" I ask confused, he laughs "The beach is full of teens at the weekend, I don't care to find something to wear. Come on" He grabs my hand, I laugh as we head in the direction of the water.

The water is cold but soon warms up as the sun beats down on us, Colby lifts me and carries me into a deeper part of the sea. I look at him, smiling. "This is romantic" I mock, he rolls his eyes before throwing me in. I find my feet and push my hair back from my face. I decide not to complain about the fact he threw me in and my hair is freshly washed. We swim around in silence for a few minutes and my thoughts get the better of me, I swim to Colby and cling around his neck.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask, he nods.

"I don't want to ask right here in the middle of the sea in front of your friends but I'm eager to know." He looks at me with a frown, I sigh before asking "I heard you saying something whilst I was falling asleep last night, It wasn't a big thing it's just I don't know what it means and I'm worried" I detach myself from him and stand in front of him.

"You said something like, What have I done?" I tilt my head, Colby's expression goes from neutral to confused quickly, he turns and faces out towards his friends before answering.

"I don't remember saying that, I must've been asleep" I nod, looking away. He continues, "But I haven't been completely honest with you A" He leads me out of the sea and I keep at frown plastered on my face. "You know, Brennen is a drug dealer, I won't go into that but" I nod, following behind him. "I haven't been honest in terms of my friendship with him." I grab my towel as we reach my stuff, he looks around before continuing. "I used to be part of his..Group you might say" He stops, taking a seat on the sand. "He would have a lot of clients and you know, weed is legal here but he was always very careful of the intake of cash. I'm a nineteen year old boy, cash is motivating" He smirks, making me relax a bit.

"But he needed jobs done, like you called them hit men right? He rang and I ran" I look at him for a moment before realising what he said. "You were the guy beating the shit out of that kid on campus?" I ask, keeping my voice low but also shocked. He sighs, "I swear Aliyah, I lost all my ties with him after that. That's why he keeps staring at you and shit, He thinks you know everything about him." He fiddles with his fingers, I look in the direction of Brennen who happens to me scolding me at that moment, I sigh. "What the fuck Colby?" I mutter, he looks at me confused.

"You're telling me that you were working for some ass hole drug dealer and expect me to be ok with the fact that you didn't tell me that?" I ask, he shakes his head. "You told me he was dangerous when all along you were just as bad" I begin to throwing my things into my bag, he watches. "Aliyah, what are you doing?" I stop, looking at him surprised. "What? You think I'm going to sit here and let you explain to me how you're trying to change. Colby, As much as I enjoy spending time with you, all this, it's a little too serious. I need to process that I might not be in the right position with you right now" I stand to my feet, pulling my white t-shirt over my damp body. 

"Wait Aliyah" He stands to his feet, "I'll give you the time. But you need to warn Rose. Kendall isn't who makes herself out to be, Brennen is more paranoid than I ever was, He's trying to fuck with me by getting to you." I look at him, my heart pounding. "I will." I nod, he looks at me with regretful eyes. "You know I was only being truthful because that's what you have teaching me to do, I need you in my life Aliyah. I wanted to look after you." I sigh, turning my back to him I head off the beach and towards my car with no hesitation. Many thoughts circle in my head, I always knew Colby was a mystery, But I didn't think he used to be that much of a mystery.