Onwards and Upwards

These little gestures from Colby is something I'm excited for in the future. His bad boy appearance on paper would be that he has to be a jerk 90% of the time. But walking me to my guidance meeting is nothing I expected.

"It's a nice day." He comments, our hands still linked. "Yeah, it's pretty warm." I nod, glancing up at the sun.

"Hey what are you getting up to tomorrow night?" He asks, swaying our hands back and forth before stopping me from walking any further, turning me to him. I think for a moment, "My friends from Arizona are staying the weekend." I smile, his expression changing from happy to neutral.

"Oh right. Never mind." He continues walking, "Why?" I ask, continuing to walk with him hand in hand. "Just wanted to see if you wanted to y'know..catch dinner. But it's fine" he looks at me and the butterflies in my stomach go crazy. He really just asked me out on a proper date and I turned him down before he even had the courage to ask, shit.

"I mean I could ditch my friends for a couple hours, I'm sure they'll only be interested in the city anyway." I smile up at him and his happy expression is plastered on his face once again, "Alright. I'll pick you up at 7?" He turns to me once we reach the chancellor building. I turn to him and nod. He plants a kiss on my forehead before we part ways and I walk inside.

It's crazy to think I'll actually be going on a date with Colby, this time last week I just arrived. It's insane to think about how much has changed. "Hello, I'm Aliyah Michaelson. I'm here to speak to Guidance Councillor Chavez" I smile at the receptionist who leads me to Ms. Chavez's office and I take a seat outside, pulling out my phone to pass the time.

Hey mom! Hope everything is well x I'm seeing Will and Frannie over the weekend remember, I miss you guys and I love you. I hit sent on my text just as Ms. Chavez leaves her office.

Ms Chavez is tall and very sophisticated which makes me very nervous to discuss my future with her. I walk inside and the first thing that catches my eye is the huge glass windows that surround the back wall of her office, the light within it is amazing.

"Good Afternoon, Aliyah?" She tilts her head to me as she signals for me to take a seat in the brown leather sofa in front of her desk. I nod, sitting down as she sits across from me behind her desk.

"Yeah." I say, she smiles which eases the tension. "It's lovely to meet you. I'm Ms. Chavez, but you can call me Nora" I return a smile and clasp my hands in my lap. "So Aliyah, your record was pretty impressive. You did very well in high school. A lot of extra curricula's" I nod, "Yeah, I spent a lot of time on school grounds."

"Any curricular activates you would like to pursue at UCLA?" She asks, I think for a moment. "Not really, If I'm not in class I'd like to spend my time out with it hopefully at a apprenticeship or a part time job." She nods, "Smart move." I smile.

"How has Psychology been the last week?" She asks, "Well, it's been great. Just what I expected, I think I'm going to enjoy my time here." She smiles, "Fantastic. So, you are not inclined to meet with me on a regular bases or anything Aliyah, I am not your therapist" she winks and I chuckle. "But I would like to receive updates on how your course is treating you and of course if you need any help finding yourself a job, I'll be happy to write you up a letter of recommendation."

I nod, "Thanks a lot Ms. Cha- Nora" she laughs quietly, standing to her feet, "I won't be keeping you too long today as I have a queue of people wanting to speak to me, but it was very lovely to meet you and I hope to see you again shortly." I smile at her, shaking her hand before exiting her office. She seemed like a nice woman, I think to myself before walking back out to the sunny campus.

~Friday~

"That's dumb." Roselyn complains as I finish applying my last coat of mascara to begin my Friday. I place my makeup away, standing to my feet and turning to her, "What is?" I frown, fishing for an outfit.

"Oh sorry, thinking aloud about my assignment." I look at her as she's sat on her bed with scattered paper. "Last minute huh." I laugh, pulling some denim jeans onto my legs. "Well, things went so well with my mother last night I didn't get home till late." I nod, exchanging my sweater for a t-shirt.

After my meeting with Nora yesterday I spent the night writing up some notes for my class today where I will be telling my group about my therapist meeting with Colby.

"Oh by the way, My friends arrive in town today." Roselyn looks at me with a blank expression before letting my words sink in, "Oh Yeah! I forgot. That's exciting." She squeals and I smile, "Yeah, they're staying at a Hotel off campus. But..." I tilt my head, sitting on the edge of my bed. "I may have to leave them for a couple hours to..go on a date." I widen my eyes and her jaw drops, I giggle.

"He asked you out?!" She asks, louder than anticipated. "Yup!" I say excitedly, turning from her to pack my bag for the day. "Don't worry about your friends. I can show them around for a couple hours." I turn to her after swinging my bag over my shoulder.

"Thank you! Life saver, I owe you." I smile, "Well I'm off to grab my coffee and head to class, are you going to class?" I ask as I walk towards the door, she sighs, "Eventually." I laugh quietly, leaving our dorm.