Friday Feeling

The Friday feeling is definitely evident this morning, smiling faces surround the campus and the coffee shop was full. "Good Morning" I chirp, meeting Jake outside class. I took my time to grab a proper breakfast this morning at the cafe, consisting of eggs and bacon. "Hey" He smiles at me, rubbing his tired eyes as we enter the room. "Time to talk about our clients" I roll my eyes, taking a seat next to Harriot and Jen who are already inside. I feel myself drifting off into my own thoughts after Professor Cowden explains we should discuss in groups.

"Are you guys struggling to keep it professional?" Jen asks, taking me from my thoughts. I look at her and sigh quietly, "Well, I know with my client we have a growing friendship..or something, it affected our therapy sessions to begin with but now it's quite nice" I smile and she exchanges one.

Harriot, Jen and Jake's client meetings seem to be pretty normal. I envy being able to break someone of their demons and have a binder full of information, but I've been so emotionally invested in Colby I don't see him as a client anymore, I see him as a boy that I have feelings for. It's so strange to me but I like it, it's exciting.

"Ali?" Jake's hand pressing my back causes me to jump, "Oh sorry. My head is wandering a lot today." I laugh quietly and he looks at me funny before looking away. "We're done. It's your turn" He mutters and I look at the floor.

"Okay well. The last meeting you guys may remember I lost my client and was on the look out for a new one. Lucky for me, I managed to rekindle that one and we are on the move forward. He has had a difficult upbringing and it's affected his life choices growing up, something that I don't have in common with him so I find it easier to help him. He definitely has anxiety when it comes to other people being involved in his life, I don't think I want to declare it anxiety, but he always seems so tense." I look at Jake who is frowning, looking away I continue. "But I think this person has a lot of potential and I find it unfair that he didn't have a mother figure around..My mother is my best friend. We did everything together and I trusted her with my deepest secrets." I smile, flipping over a piece of paper in front of me.

"I want to give him the opportunity to start fresh." I look at Harriot who seems very interested. "We'll see how it goes." I shrug.

"Do you think you can fix something that's already broken when you don't know them?" Jake asks, looking at me. He seems, pissed? I shake the thought and answer "Well, all I can do is try."

He nods, pushing his work into his bag, luckily Professor Cowden has taken us out of the awkwardness. "Alright class. I am very impressed by some of the things I am hearing as I took a wander around." He walks back to the front of the hall.

"I would really like to see you guys attend a WishfulMinds meeting on Tuesday evening. Right here in the psychology department we have some of the finest Los Angeles therapists who are offering professional affordable therapy sessions for the young Psychologists" I glance around the hall, nobody seems bothered. It would be nice to be able to work with a therapist one on one but I know that's not what he's saying, he wants us to attend therapy. Something I've been doing since a young age back home in Arizona. But I don't think I'd like to do it now, I'll always be comparing myself to the professional.

—-

Lunch break is busier than usual, majority of the on campus food stalls are full of people. I opt for a trip back to my dorm, the walk back not being too bad with the scorching sun. I rummage through my snack drawer and find some breadsticks and Nutella, throwing myself onto my bed and indulging.

My phone begins to ring, making me jump. I glance at the caller ID Will, smiling I pick up. "Hey!"

"Aliyah! We are just about to board the plane but quick question, will you be picking us up or should we call an Uber?" He asks, I think for a moment. "I'd really like to attend my last class of the day because it'll give me weekend assignment. But I can give Oscar, my dads old college friend, a ring and he can pick you guys up." Will agrees and I exchange my goodbyes before hanging up and sending Oscar a text, Oscar! It's Aliyah Michaelson, Kevin Michaelson's daughter, I was wondering if you could pick my friends up from the airport in about an hour and a half? :)

He quickly responds with an of course and I send him Will's number before heading off back to class. "Hey. I'm finished classes for the day." Roselyn stops me in the hall, I smile. "Good! I am heading back to my final class, leaving from there to the hotel my friends will be at. I need to explain to them that you will be taking them sight seeing for the couple hours I am away dating." I laugh and so does she, separating ways.

I hope Will and Frannie are looking forward to seeing me. It has only be a little over a week but going from seeing each other every single day to being in different states, it's a big change. The last thing I want is to lose my childhood friends for a big city. My thoughts spiral in my head in my last class of the day, what an eventful weekend is to come.

••

// Thank you guys so much for 10k reads, I appreciate all the love of this! //