Chapter 16: Parents

It was around 10 at night, a clear warm night. Mikasa slept in bed beside Eren, their fan on. Despite it being a warm night, Mikasa still slept with her scarf on.

Eren snored, while Mikasa slept deeply. It was very peaceful and quiet, when suddenly Mikasa stirred, hearing Carly crying on the baby monitor.

Mikasa woke up instantly. "I'm coming sweetie", she said, as she quickly went into the nursery, Eren sleeping through it.

The nursery was extremely well done. It had dark pink soft carpet, with a white rug and light pink walls. The wallpaper had a butterfly banner at the very top.

There was a shelf full of stuffed animals, and Oscar was set in the corner of the room. The baby mobile over the bassinet had stars and crescent moons. The bassinet was both pink and white.

There was also a whole shelf of baby blankets.

Mikasa gently lifted Carly up out of her bassinet. "It's okay sweetie, shhhh, mommy's here", Mikasa soothed as she gently patted Carly's back.

Carly was wearing a cute pair of pink feet pajamas with a bunny decorated on it.

The baby almost instantly stopped crying, and she cooed happily. She nuzzled against Mikasa's chest.

"Okay sweetie, you hungry? You really do take after your daddy", Mikasa sat down in the rocking chair which was actually not wooden, but cushion like an armchair.

She helped Carly latch onto her breast and the baby began nursing.

As Carly nursed, Mikasa gently rocked in the chair, in deep thought. Levi was most likely still awake, at the hospital with Petra.

The whole thing was so sudden and out of no where. Levi told Mikasa and Eren earlier that day what was going on.

Petra was currently being treated for the tumor, but so far it wasn't looking too good. When Mikasa offered to come see them, Levi told her to wait a bit. He didn't want to take her away from her newborn baby so soon.

Mikasa closed her eyes softly. She was so thankful she had Eren...she couldn't even begin to imagine how she would function if something happened to him.

Carly stopped nursing then, full. She yawned cutely.

"Finished sweetie? Okay let's get you back to bed", Mikasa got up, holding onto Carly gently.

Carly nuzzled her face into the crook of her mommy's neck.

Mikasa gently lay Carly in her bassinet, handing her a small teddy bear. Carly held it close, still looking up at Mikasa.

Mikasa turned the baby mobile back on, and just as she went to walk away, Carly began whimpering.

Mikasa blinked, stopping. "What is it sweetie?", she asked. As soon as she began to walk back over, Carly stopped whimpering.

"Sweetheart, it's okay. You know the drill by now baby, you sleep in here and me and daddy in the other room now", Mikasa cooed softly, as she gently rubbed Carly's belly.

Carly seemed to settle at her mother's touch. Mikasa sighed in relief, she went to walk away again but as soon as she did, Carly whimpered again and started to cry a little. Mikasa stopped and looked back at her baby.

She walked back over, and as soon as she did, Carly stopped crying and looked happy again.

"Carly...", Mikasa sighed softly, understanding.

She knew she shouldn't spoil her child, and just let her get used to sleeping in her own room, but Mikasa could not stand hearing her baby cry.

This was only the first night Carly slept in her nursery. Before that she always slept in Mikasa's arms or Eren's arms.