Chapter 13: The Birth Part One

It was August, only a week until Mikasa's due date. It was late morning, Eren was working at the Tea shop. He was cleaning one of the tables by the front window.

He then stopped for a minute, and gazed out the window. He had become more on edge and worried than ever.

Mikasa was nine months pregnant now, even though her due date wasn't for another week, it could happen anytime.

Everything was planned and decided. Mikasa would give birth to Carly at their home, in her bedroom. Rubi would be her midwife, and the only two others in the room would be Eren and his mother.

Eren could not help from spacing out off and on recently. So many worries went through his head for Mikasa.

He even started to have nightmares, of something bad happening, of her struggling..

Eren closed his eyes, shaking his head. Nothing bad will happen, he told himself over and over again.

He was just being paranoid, Mikasa was strong. She was real strong.

"Eren", said Levi then. Eren blinked, snapping out of it. "Sorry Levi..", he said.

"I did that too", Levi said then. Eren looked at him.

"When Petra was pregnant, I spaced out a lot. I know how you're feeling", Levi told him.

"Yeah...I just wish she'd go to the hospital..", Eren admitted.

"My cousin has always been so fucking stubborn...it drives me insane. Either way, I want you to call me when it happens", Levi said.

"Of course I will..she doesn't like it but..you're her family. So you're going to be welcomed into our house...she won't know you're there, since you'll be downstairs waiting with my father and Armin", Eren said softly.

"It's best that way...how is she anyway?", asked Levi concerned.

Eren hesitated, worried.

"She's really tired...she always puts on a brave faces and smiles..but I know her better than that. She's exhausted, and I can see it in her eyes she's scared", Eren replied worriedly.

"You mentioned you and her are going to meet Rubi's parents today?", asked Levi.

"Yeah...since Rubi is going to be Mikasa's midwife, plus Armin is dating Rubi, it's about time we meet her parents. The three of them are coming to pick me up soon", replied Eren.

Levi leaned against the counter, he then handed something to Eren.

"Here", he said. It was an envelope. Eren blinked, but opened it.

Inside was quite a lot of money. "Levi, this isn't my normal pay...", he started.

"Take a few months off...starting today. She needs you, and so will the baby", Levi interrupted him.

"Levi, are you sure?", asked Eren.

"Just take it before I change my mind, brat. If you have a chance to be with your family all the time, take it and embrace it", Levi told him.

Eren nodded. "Thank you Levi, really", Eren said, grateful.

Just then, the quiet moment was interrupted by a loud crash in the kitchen. Eren and Levi both looked up, alarmed.

"Probably fucking Hanji again...damn she is clumsy", Levi scoffed, he and Eren went in to check it out.

But when they entered the kitchen, they saw a bunch of dishes were smashed on the floor, but Hanji wasn't there.