Chapter 25: Christmas Time

Snow fell outside, the roads becoming covered in it. It was December 20th, only days before Christmas. Eren and Armin had left to pick up last minute Christmas presents.

Rubi and Mikasa stayed at home wrapping, with Carly. Mikasa was 7 months pregnant now.

She was due in February, close to her own birthday in fact.

The outside of the house was decorated with Christmas lights and a Christmas wreath.

Inside, the Christmas tree sat in the living room, decorated with lights, ornaments, tinsel and a star on top.

Carly was having her nap, giving Rubi and Mikasa a chance to wrap the last few presents.

"I finally got her asleep", Mikasa sighed in relief, as she came down the stairs.

"She's real excited, Christmas is close", smiled Rubi, she hurried over, helping Mikasa down the last few steps.

Mikasa placed her hand on her swollen belly.

"What all did Eren have left to pick up?", asked Rubi curiously as she and Mikasa sat at the dining room table, wrapping.

"He forgot to buy egg nog, and also a brand new toy Carly wants that just came out today", replied Mikasa.

She wrapped Eren's present, which was a new game for his Playstation 3.

"You accepted his game obsession?", chuckled Rubi. Mikasa rolled her eyes, but smiled.

"I suppose. As long as he doesn't spend too much time on it, which he hasn't, then its okay", she explained.

Rubi wrapped one of Carly's presents, which was a plush character from the movie Inside Out, which was one of Carly's favorites.

"What was the toy?", asked Rubi, as she taped the paper.

"It's this really big well made dollhouse. It comes with dolls and even a dog and cat figure for the pets", replied Mikasa.

"Whoa...! I saw the commercial for that, it's like 100 dollars", said Rubi shocked.

"I know, but she's been really great", Mikasa smiled. Rubi looked at her friend softly, also worried.

"Hey...how's the baby?", asked Rubi worriedly then. Mikasa hesitated.

"He kicked a little more than usual this morning", she replied.

She placed her hand on her swollen belly. She didn't even look seven months pregnant at all, she looked only five.

"Hey...it's going to be okay Mikasa. In two months, we're going to take you to the hospital, he's going to be fine", Rubi assured.

Mikasa looked down, her eyes remaining worried.

"I know...", she said, but her tone was grim. The plan was for Mikasa to give birth at the hospital this time, due to how weak the baby was.

As much as she preferred a homebirth, they all knew the risks this time, and felt safer at the hospital.

Rubi would be helping her again.

After about an hour, they finished wrapping the presents. Mikasa and Rubi carried them into the living room.

"Sweetie, don't bend, I got it", Rubi fussed, as she took the present from Mikasa, and set it under the tree.

"I'm sorry Rubi...normally I would never take it this easy. But...", Mikasa's eyes turned worried, as she gently rubbed her belly.

"Don't apologize, Mikasa. You need to be careful", Rubi assured her. Mikasa had made it a point to be as careful as possible for the rest of this pregnancy.