Chapter 18: Rest In Peace

By the following day, Mikasa was fast asleep. She was exhausted from the new baby, and slept soundly.

Eren watched over her worried, when the phone rang. Eren blinked, and saw it was Armin.

"Armin? What's up?", he asked softly, so he didn't wake Mikasa.

"Eren...it's Petra", Armin said, his tone grim. Eren froze then, his heart sunk. "What happened?", he asked, although already knowing.

"She...she died last night", Armin said.

By late afternoon, Eren was sitting beside Mikasa, who was still asleep. He gently brushed her jet black hair away from her eyes.

Finally she stirred. She opened her eyes tiredly. "Eren..?", she asked.

"Hey sleepy head", Eren smiled softly.

Mikasa yawned, she sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, and glanced at the alarm clock.

"It's 4 already?", she asked confused, grabbing it. "You've been asleep all night last night, and all day today. You were even snoring", replied Eren.

Mikasa blushed, embarrassed.

"Mika, it's fine, you were dead tired", Eren assured.

"Wait, where's Carly?! She hasn't eaten all day!", cried Mikasa, panicked then about to jump out of bed.

"No, she's fine Mika! Easy, she's okay. I bottlefed her", Eren assured, as he grabbed her shoulders gently.

"Oh, you used my scarf again?" asked Mikasa, relieved. "Yeah", Eren replied.

"Oh...", Mikasa relaxed. "But, she still missed you", Eren smiled, got up, and went into the nursery.

He then returned, holding Carly. He gently came back over with her.

Carly cooed happily then, eagerly reaching her tiny hands out to Mikasa.

"Hey baby girl, hey...", Mikasa smiled brightly, carefully taking Carly from Eren, as she cuddled her close.

"I heard you were a big girl today", Mikasa cooed sweetly, as she rubbed noses with Carly. Carly babbled cutely, as she touched her mom's face gently.

Eren then gently wrapped the scarf around Mikasa's neck. With her free hand Mikasa placed her hand on her scarf, missing it.

"Eren, why does it smell so clean?", she asked then, it smelled fresh and new, even nice.

"Well...not exactly", admitted Eren nervously. "Then why does it smell so nice?", asked Mikasa confused.

"Uh...yeah...little accident. When I was changing Carly, she kicked the baby powder bottle down, and well...your scarf was white for a while", explained Eren.

"I'm sorry Mikasa! I know how you always were about my scent being on it!", he apologized then nervously.

Mikasa blinked cutely. "No, it's fine Eren...I like its new smell", admitted Mikasa, it smelled like sweet fresh baby powder, it was actually quite comforting.

"Really? Oh thank god", Eren sighed in relief. "Hold on though...", Mikasa then took her scarf off, and rubbed it on Eren firmly.

"It smells nice, but it still needs your scent on it", she explained, as she then wrapped it back around her.

Carly cooed cutely, as she held a piece of Mikasa's scarf. "I'm so glad she's been sleeping in the nursery", Mikasa said.

"Same here...", Eren looked down then, he knew he had to tell her. "Mikasa...", he started.