Chapter 17: Hardships

It was a cold, cloudy day which was unusual for September. The air was crisp and it was obviously going to be an early fall.

Mikasa stood outside the large hospital in town. She wore her red scarf and her long dark blue coat with pink pants and pink winter gloves. It was that cold out.

She crossed her arms, looking down. She pulled her scarf over her mouth. She closed her eyes, thinking back to when she saw her parents shot.

"Where were you then? When I needed you most...?", she asked bitterly about Levi, she then looked back up and walked inside.

She went up to the front desk. "Petra Ackerman please...I'm here to see her husband Levi", she said.

"Are you family?", asked the receptionists. "I'm his cousin", replied Mikasa.

"Okay dear, that would be floor 5, the Critical care unit. They are room 7", said the receptionists.

"Thank you", Mikasa got on the elevator, and soon was on the right floor. She walked down the hall, and saw room 7.

She took a deep breath before entering, but turned the knob and went in.

As soon as she closed the door behind her and got a clear view, her heart sunk and she froze.

Her expression was of horror, and then it became more calm, but grim.

Petra was resting in the bed. She was hooked up to a dozen different machines. She had small oxygen tubes in her nostrils and an IV in her arm.

She was was hooked up to a heart monitor, and several other machines. There was one thing Mikasa noticed that horrified her, and she didn't understand.

There were straps holding Petra down to the bed. She was extremely pale, and had dark circles under her eyes.

At her bedside was Levi, he hadn't even heard Mikasa enter. He was laying his head on the edge of her bed, holding her hand.

"Oh, Mikasa...", Petra smiled weakly. Levi blinked, looking up.

Mikasa looked down grimly, and walked over.

"Mikasa?", he said numbly.

"I'm so sorry...", Mikasa said softly, and she meant it. "You don't have to apologize, Mikasa", Petra assured her.

"Petra, how are you feeling?", asked Mikasa, worried. "I feeling a little better today", Petra assured. "But how's little Carly?", she asked.

"She's just fine", assured Mikasa.

Levi looked at her, he then looked down. "I think it's time we really talked", he said.

The two took a walk outside in the hospital's courtyard, there were Sakura trees, a large beautiful fountain and a few patients, most were in wheelchairs.

"There's really nothing they can do for her?", asked Mikasa.

"Surgery is an option...but there's no way she'll survive it", replied Levi, grimly.

He was never the type to cry or show emotion, he was the type to keep it bottled up inside.

"How do they know that?", asked Mikasa.

"The tumor is massive...it's the size of two lemons", Levi said numbly.

"Levi, what if...what if there were a chance it could work?", asked Mikasa.

"Trust me..Petra and I talked it over. She doesn't want the surgery...", Levi said then.

"But how can she just give up like that? She has a son!", cried Mikasa, shocked.