十三

S E C R E T S   O F   S H I N I G A M I   [PART 1]

      Kuma struggled to keep up with me as I ran through the streets, dodging civilians milling about. Before I could jump into the unknown, Kakashi latched onto the back of my shirt and pulled me to a halt a meter from the gate. I struggled and swore at him, which just seemed to amuse him. 

      "What's the rush Hikari?" Kakashi pocketed his orange Icha-Icha book and let go of my collar.

      "No time to explain," I hissed just as Kuma caught up to me.

      Kuma leaned against Kakashi to catch his breath. He removed his mask and puffed out his cheeks as he pointed at me, "Don't go running off like that again, Lady Hokage would kill me if you died!"

      "We can't stop moving," I growled. "If we want to get to Madara in time then I'd shut up."

      "Kuma, what exactly is―?" Kakashi wasn't able to finish because I grabbed Kuma by the arm and pulled him out of the village.    

[Time Skip]

      Before my sealing, I'd marked the route to the hold first branch mansion. Though, I knew the markers were long gone. I reverted to pulling Kuma behind me as I ran in a frenzy. 

      Hashirama sat stoically at his desk. Tobirama flanked him. The Hokage headdress lay idle by his arm as a reminder.  Madara had lost leadership to him. 

      "You called, Lord First?" I knelt.

      He gestured for me to stand. 

      "Hika–Chan," Tobirama put a hand on Hashirama's shoulder and looked at me with his beady red eyes. "You know, for an Uchiha, you're unlike themthe trust I have in you gives me the confidence to say―"

      "Tobirama," Hashirama shook his head. "Don't."

      Tobirama ignored him and spread his hands, "Madara has abandoned the village. His last act was to challenge Hashirama to a battle."

      My eyes widened, I'd only planned with Madara this morning to meet for dinner. It was our usual custom to dine together in the seclusion of our compound. We were safe from the prying eyes. 

      "Hika–Chan," Hashirama sighed, "I speak for my clan when I say this, I have faith in you. You and I both know Madara will stop at nothing until I'm dead and this village is burnt to the ground. He hasn't gotten far from here but if you intercept him before he can attack, maybe you can talk some sense into himhe'll listen to you."

      "Why did he want to pursue hatred? What caused this?" Shinigami cackled in my subconscious. 

      "The people still trust the Senju over Uchiha. I've done what I can to persuade the populous. . .but I can only do so much to combat Madara's hatred," Hashirama spread his hands apologetically. Tears streaked the Hokage's face as his lip quivered at me. "As my best friend and ally, I order you to find Madara. If he won't change his mind then. . .then kill him. I won't have the lives of my villagers put in jeopardy for some pitiful quest."   

      "Kill him? Hashirama he's your friend, he's a brother to you!" I shouted, my own tears seeping into my robe. "I won't touch him. . .I can't."

      "I know this is hard for you Hika–Chan, but please, you're our only hope. He won't listen to me, that bond is broken," Hashirama clasped my hands. "I will do whatever it takes to protect my family and my friends. If the roles were reversed and Madara was Hokage, he would do the same thing and order my execution―he wouldn't allow anybody to hurt you. Just as I won't stand for anything to harm Mito."