四十

A S H E S    T O    A S H E S 

[Time Skip]

      Storm clouds circulated overhead. The conditions mimicked that of the final battle. In a matter of minutes, the sky blackened and lightening threatened to incinerate the surrounding trees in the valley. The thunder claps were enough to deafen me. 

      I lay on my side at Madara's feet as he gripped his abdomen. He struggled to remain standing, neither of us had enough chakra or strength to withstand another fight―not even Hashirama could contribute. None of us could perform basic Ninjutsu even if we tried. 

      "This war is over," in a puff of smoke, Izuna's katana clattered in front of me. "Kaguya is sealed as are the Juubi. Naruto and Sasuke have taken your place as transmigrants. . .if you surrender the final outcome will be peaceful. . ."

      He shook his head and teetered to the left, struggling to remain balanced.

       "You should know by now, my Little Uchiha, that I won't die until my duty is done," he said. "Besides, you aren't in the exact condition to assist as a transmigrant either. You used all of Shinigami's chakra along with your own to seal Kaguya and the wounds Obito dealt you before the war are starting to take their toll on you. You can barely raise your sword to me." 

        Lightning struck the waterfall, sending sparks of electricity through the water. Hashirama pulled me from Madara's side and hauled us into the air. Madara somehow dodged the bolt as well and landed back down once the electricity had ceased.

       "Listen to Hika–Chan, Madara," Hashirama pleaded. "What's the point of reliving in the past when you know what the outcome is going to be? You've been living in fear and hatred for so long that your own emotions have warped your mind. None of the Uchiha shared your ideals and philosophies. . .it was just Black Zetsu's manipulation. . .it's time to let it go."

       "This world is a cruel place," Madara hissed. "I won't allow my closest companions to live through it. My Little Uchiha, you know what I'm talking about right? This world has shown you nothing but pain and suffering since you were a little girl."

       "Maybe so. . .but I've used that pain to grow," the katana shook in my left hand. "Unlike you, I used that internal suffering to achieve peace, with myself and others. I didn't want to allow my rivalry with Matsumi to consume me like Izuna's had with you. You fulfilled Zetsu's will further by using Izanami to break the curse. But what was it all for? This war is pointless, Madara-Sama."

       Madara seemed taken aback by my outburst. His eyes widened, his Eternal Mangekyou shrunk back in their sockets as he stared at me, mouth agape. 

      "This war was supposed to unite us again, we would overcome all obstacles―the three of us," Madara continued shaking his head. 

       "What was supposed to unite us has torn our friendship apart," Hashirama placed his hand on my shoulder. "We would've been united in our own era if you hadn't separated us. If you had only accepted that I was Hokage, Hika–Chan and Tobirama would've stopped the feuds, you both would've gotten married and had children but no, your selfish pride had to interfere. If you'd only come to me and explained your motives I would've stepped down as Hokage for you to take my place if that meant you would've stayed in the village."    

      "But it's too late for that now," Madara spat. "The Senju were loved more than the Uchiha, we would've never been accepted if I was Hokage―you were always the people pleaser, Hashirama!"

      "You're wrong Madara," Hashirama squeezed my shoulder. "The Uchiha began to get accepted when Hika–Chan became clan leader, she kept everyone in check and solved most disputes with words instead of weapons. If you left her alone, none of this would've happened."