三十一

R E T R I E V E D:   K U M A   K O H A K U !

[A/N: pic on the side is a prospective visual of Kuma Kohaku. Credit goes to the artist.]

      I heed Shinigami's advice and used the remnants of my chakra to create two clones, one to teleport and the other to heal. However my resilience couldn't withstand the repetitive injury and as consequence, my clones got as far as Yugakure before I succumb to blood loss and collapsed.

      When I came back into consciousness however, a pang of something welled up in my stomach in warning. I winced and sat up in the abandoned warehouse once utilised as a supply depot. I performed the summoning jutsu and Tatsu flopped into my lap, panting. I scooped it up in my palm and scowled when my Hannya mask was nowhere to be seen. 

      "Something terrible has happened Mistress," Tatsu wheezed. "M–Madara has betrayed your trust, Mizuchi and I have been surveying the battle through Ryokan―Madara is there amongst the chaos. By his hand, clans have been eradicated and generations have been culled. . ."

      I thought Madara would've known better than to become a slave to his desires. 

      Tatsu grimaced, "Madara summoned me and took the mask. . .he. . .he used it to awaken something."

      "How many ally casualties have there been?" I murmured. "Are Naruto and his Jonnin friends safe?" 

      "From what Ryokan has showed us, yes, they're safe," Tatsu nodded. "As for Konohagakure's dead. . .many of the senior figureheads of the village were killed in an explosion. The Juubi has grown and mutated its form, it will only continue to grow from here."

      I cracked my knuckles, "I'll go to the battlefield as soon as I can; I need to locate Orochimaru and Kuma still."

"I will accompany you, Mistress," Tatsu fluttered onto my shoulder as I slid the warehouse door open. "I will not fail you again."   

      All qualified ninja were required by law to fight on the front lines and in delegated squads; it played in my favour to an extent―it reduced the resources used for border surveillance.  All motives became null-and-void in the midst of conflict, power becomes everything and I wasn't willing to submit to any nation to assist in the battle.

      My mind focused on the water surrounding me, even though most of my childhood was spent behind concrete walls and segregation, I marvelled my chances when I got to skim rocks to Hashirama and Madara, or race them to their statues at Final Valley. I smirked to myself before making hand signs.

      I summoned Mizuchi to serve as my transport across the ocean; knowing the dragon's affinity for water, it would thank me later for giving it the opportunity to bathe in the pools of Shimagame. Tatsu dug its claws into my shoulder as Mizuchi skimmed across the water. My hair flailed around wildly in the breeze as Mizuchi sunk lower towards the waves and doubled its speed. 

      My sleep was broken. I pulled the blankets over my face in protest. 

       "Get up," Madara said nothing further before slamming the door. 

      I rocked into a sitting position and swept bits of hair away from my face. I pulled my sleep robe over myself and loosely tied it around my waist. Madara stood on the balcony, his Eternal Mangekyou on display. 

      "What?" I narrowed my eyes.

      Despite the heat, Madara wore a dark blue Uchiha robe, thick pants, sandals and skin tight thermal. I sweat just looking at him. Madara flattened his lips in agitation.