Part 35 Viggo - Hiccup POV

We are both completely shocked as we look into each other's faces. Viggo has hardly changed in appearance except that his hair and beard are now streaked with a little grey. However, I know he must be shocked as I have changed quite a bit. That however I'd only if he can recognize me.

"Hiccup?" he asks quite bewildered.

"Viggo." I reply staring I recognize him.

"You can't be the scrawny boy that chased me around the archipelago on the back of a dragon can you?" He asks standing up. I am put on my guard and I bring my sword up.

"Don't be afraid Hiccup, I wouldn't dream of hurting you. Those days are long over. But I don't blame you for not trusting me." He says.

I sheath my sword and put my hand out. Something is different about this Viggo. Much different. He takes my hand and grips it. We sit down together.

"So I see you've grown Hiccup. You're not a boy anymore; you're a man. In fact I hardly recognized you behind that beard of yours."

I smile and stroke the facial hair on my chin thoughtfully. "Yes Viggo." I laugh. "I'm definitely not a boy anymore."

"I see you've become the chief," he says motioning to my fur cape. "I'm glad for you Hiccup. You've grown into something noble I never became. I only grew into a slinking villain bent in the destruction of some of the earth's most beautiful creatures. I am glad they are safe now in the Hidden World. It was noble of you Hiccup to let them go. You're a better man than I ever was. Now enough about me, as there is not much to talk if the last twenty years. How has life been for you?"

"It has been good." I reply. "There has been peace since Grimmel was defeated and New Berk has grown and become well settled."

"That is good!" Says the now companionable Viggo. "As I remember, Hiccup, you were in a romance last we met were you not?"

I flinch as I remember Viggo with a sword to Astrid's throat. But I regain composure. "Yes I was." I smile thinking of how much that has changed in the last twenty years.

"May I ask did anything ever come of it?" He asks.

I laugh. "Yes, something came of it all right! A marriage and two children."

"So you're a father now Hiccup! I couldn't be happier for you both! Your children must greatly look up to you."

My children. I just now remember why I'm here. My children are lost and who knows if I'll ever find them and if I do will they be alive?

"I don't know Viggo." I say. "It seems they're disappointed in me."

"How so?" He asks looking at me with his half-scarred face.

I sigh. "Well that would explain why I'm here. They ran away and who knows where they've gone. I - I have to find them. It's all my fault! I haven't been there for them. I've just been too busy moping."

"Why is that?" Viggo asks softly.

I sigh. I can feel tears framing my eyes. "I didn't tell you that Astrid and I had another child... but she died shortly after birth."

"I'm so sorry Hiccup! I know how that feels." Viggo says.

"No you don't!" I storm as tears run down my cheeks. "You have never lost a child. You DO NOT know what this feels like!"

"Actually," he begins. "Yes Hiccup I have."