36

36 — A PLEASANT SURPRISE

dongpyo and eunsang did not expect familiar faces to barge into their biology class.

"wow, lee eunsang and son dongpyo sitting next to each other during class, this is something i definitely did not expect."

"slow-burn angst, enemies to lovers dynamic." one of their classmates comprehends. "i'm loving this already."

"yah, ahn yujin!" dongpyo scowls. "i'm only doing this because cha junho's absent, nothing else."

"where is cha junho anyway? i haven't seen him anywhere."

dongpyo opens his mouth to explain. "he's—"

"he's at egypt with his parents for a holiday." eunsang quickly responds.

yujin furrows her eyebrows. ".. egypt?"

"daebak. junho's parents are always the strict type, never thought they'll let him skip school for something as irrelevant as a family vacation." guanlin repudiates.

yujin turns to him and nods. "i know right? at least this'll lessen the chance of him getting good grades for snu~"

"ahn yujin." eunsang says lowly.

"hm?"

"cha junho is able and will definitely go to seoul national university, mark my words." there's not a tint of humor left on his tone, only absolute seriousness.

yujin chuckles. "yeah, okay— calm down, eunsang-ah. i was only joking~"

"with or without junho, i bet you still can't get to snu," guanlin teases playfully. "not with low scores like that, you can."

"yah! watch your mouth, lai guanlin!" ahn yujin exclaims as she hits him with a book. "you dare to make fun of me when your scores are way lower than mine, how humiliating."

"at least i'm not delusional, unlike you."

"shut up before i kick you hard enough that you'll end up going back to your home country."

dongpyo and eunsang ignore their childish banter, with dongpyo turning to eunsang feverishly. "yah, try to at least take a joke, won't you? yujin just wanted to get along with you."

"belittling junho isn't the correct way to do that."

"yeah, but still.." dongpyo laughs lightly. "that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. anyway, guanlin's right. none of their scores are high enough to even surpass universities in seoul, let alone snu."

"why do you guys care about your scores so much?" eunsang asks bluntly. "i mean, you should've seen junho's face when i said i had no interest of enrolling to snu. why are you guys so obsessed of getting into the high-tier universities as if your life depends on it?"

dongpyo sighs. "not everyone's as smart as you, eunsang."

".. what?"

"we care about our scores because it affects our future." dongpyo points out. "it affects our upcoming alma maters. it affects how our parents, our relatives look upon us. it's not about just keeping our pride unscathed, it's about us surviving for the worst." he looks down. "you might not feel that way, because of how effortless you are at studying something new. some of us have troubles in it, you know."

eunsang bites his lips uncomfortably. "i might get good scores, but i'm not as diligent as you guys. my scores aren't perfect and spotless."

"yeah, god knows what'll happen if you do take your scores seriously. might as well be the end for us all."