18. Pineapple pizza

18. Pineapple pizza

James Dayton's P.O.V

Seeing her waiting for me, sitting on the stairs, makes me feel... weird. I couldn't even imagine how it would be like, to talk with her, laugh, smile. Spend time with Aria.

But now I know and it's even better than my expectations.

Clearing my throat to gain attention, I see her getting scared by the unexpected noise.

"Are you ready?" I ask, moving around awkwardly in front of her.

In situations like this one, I always fidget around, and I don't know what to do with my hands. Most of the time I just keep myself busy with my phone, but now I don't want to seem rude.

When you go out with someone, you shouldn't be on your phone. That's what my mother told me, at least.

"Yeah, yeah."

I don't expect to hear this tone of voice from her. Scared, vulnerable. Aria was on the phone before I got here so maybe that's the source of her mood.

"Are you okay?" Asking, wanting to make sure something bad didn't happen.

I am sure Aria will tell me she is okay, nothing is wrong, but I can tell when someone is lying.

"I'm fine. Where are we going?"

And she just said it. Biting my lip, I shrug and stop the urge of wanting to push the subject. I know that when a girl says she is okay, she's not.

But we don't know each other, so she will obviously not tell me her biggest problems and secrets.

But I hope she will be fine.

"Pizza. I am hungry." I respond suddenly, feeling my stomach making angry noises.

Good thing I've got my money, I have enough for Aria too and I won't let her pay this time, the ice cream was enough.

"You speak in my language." She laughs and looks at me.

Not knowing what to respond, due to my social anxiety and shyness, I turn around, taking her hand in mine.

I don't even realize I did it till Aria makes a surprised noise and smacks my hand, making me blush and bit my lip.

"Umm... I am sorry, I don't know w-why I did it... p-please forgive me." I stutter an apology quickly, so quick I'm not even sure she heard me.

"It's okay James, don't worry. I-I just got scared and surprised, that's it. Just drop the subject." Aria waves her hand around, and I nod, sighing in relief in my mind.

After all this progress, taking her hand was too bold. Couples do that.

And you are not together, you'll never be.