41. Missed call

41. Missed call

James Dayton's P.O.V

I curse under my breath, take a few seconds to myself and try calming my breathing. It's my mom calling and I would be stupid not to realize the reason.

This fucking high school will give me a bad headache someday. We left one hour ago and they have already informed my mom about my stunt.

"Hey mom. The weather is good today, isn't it?" I try giving my best honey filled voice but hearing a low grunt on the other side of the call, I know this can't be good.

"Tell me now why you embarrassed me. You have two seconds."

I take a big breath and take a look at Aria, noticing how she's watching me like a hawk, assessing my movements with big eyes. Moving two steps closer to her, I raise my hand to move her piece of hair behind her ear, but I stop at the big scream.

"Two seconds passed. James Dayton, you are grounded."

Groaning, I respond quickly getting scared, knowing my mom can be a scary one when she wants to. It doesn't matter that in one moment she can be a sweetheart, in another mom will be evil.

She even tried to steal my food once. That's just cruel.

"Sorry mom but I don't know what you're talking about." I reply trying to act like an innocent victim. I should learn it never works.

"Oh, so you're telling me you're at school right now, boy?" Her voice sounds very angry and I sigh, knowing I'll have to tell her the truth. But looking quickly behind me again, I realize something.

No matter what my punishment will be, I will do it again just to see the relief from Aria's face when that phone cracked and the photos were forever destroyed. At least that's what I hope. I will do anything for her.

Sending her a smile, even though I feel bad right now, her smiling at me back makes me feel better.

I hate how I know I disappointed my mom. She didn't expect that from me, I was always at school, I've never missed a day without telling her and I'm sure I've never done something this crazy before.

I feel how she feels and it's not good.

"Mom, I had a reason for leaving. I swear. Please don't be mad." I whisper the last part and bit my lower lip, waiting for her answer.

Thinking that I got her worried about me makes my heart clench, I hate to do that to mom. She's the only person I have left that really understands me and she is stressed enough all day. I don't want to make her stressed more.

Hearing her sigh, I take a few more steps closer towards the lake, to calm myself. Water calms me.

"We'll talk at home. Don't think you are forgiven." Mumbling the last words, she ends the call and I bit my lip, feeling the blood coming out of my bitten flesh. I know what that means.