| Chapter XIX | this is politics darling

They went to a press conference Oswald was having

They went to a press conference Oswald was having. The place was packed with people and cameras. Both of the twins could feel their heart racing, they had to go outside for a brief moment to get some air. When they returned they stayed far in the back, closer to the doors. Still wanting to be there and listen to Oswald's speech and support him.

"My beloved mother always believed in me. Even when I doubted myself, she held firm. Seeing all of your bright faces reminds me that there is nothing you cannot do if you put your mind to it. And when I am mayor, I believe- no, I know that together, we will make Gotham safe again!"

While they're there, they noticed Butch handing a man an envelope, just like he had with the other two people. They found this highly suspicious.
Before the man could leave, Edward came and questioned him.

"Excuse me. Are you on the election board?"

"Yeah."

"I work for Mr. Cobblepot. He just wanted me to confirm what Butch gave you. May I?", he reached inside the man's suit and pulled out the envelope, "Thank you."

He opened it to reveal a good set of cash. He made a quick flip through it and then handed it back to the man.

"It's all there. Thank you."

The man left, putting the envelope back into his suit.

Odette went to join Edward, with Joan reluctantly following behind her.

"So they're buying the votes?"

"So it seems."

"That seems superfluous, Oswald could win this without needing to buy votes."

"If only he saw it that way.", Joan added.

"There must be something we could do. Right, Ed?"

Edward smirked, getting an idea.

After a while of Oswald greeting many people, Edward and the twins went up to him.

"I assume you know Butch is paying campaign officials to buy the election?"

"You don't approve?"

They both chuckle.

"My dear Ed, this is Gotham. This is how things are done."

"And in theory, I support that. But, Oswald, do you see how these people are cheering for you?"

"Yes, they... do seem very excited."

"You can win this on your own."

"We believe in you, Oswald.", the twins added.

"Why risk it? There is no upside. I want this. I want this like I never wanted anything."

"We know.", Joan told him.

"Which is why you need to call off Butch.", Edward added.

A little girl approached them and pulled on Oswald's suit to grab his attention.

"Mr. Penguin?"

"Hello, there.", he said with a smile.

"I wanted to thank you for getting rid of all the monsters."

Oswald turned back to them.

"Do you see? People look at me differently now. For the first time in my life, I feel wanted."

"Nice doing business with you.", the little girl said while holding her hand out.

Edward handed her a twenty-dollar bill.

"And how do you feel now?"

"I feel like I've misjudged some people who were supposed to be my friends." He looked at them with a pained expression on his face.

Joan looked down in shame, hating herself for hurting her friend.

"We are your friends. I can't be bought, but I can be stolen with a glance. I'm worthless to one, but priceless to two. What am I?"

"I don't care. I do not need a stupid riddle right now. I know what I want. I want to be mayor. So stay out of it, all of you. I'm warning you." Oswald walks away angrily.

"Nice going, Riddles. Keep me out of your next brilliant idea.", Joan tells Edward while rolling her eyes.

Edward starts to walk away as well. Odette quickly went up to him.

"Hey, how 'bout I come with you? I can be very useful, being a Coldwell and all that."

Before Odette could join Edward, Joan was quick to pull her aside.

"You can't possibly think I'll let you go anywhere with him. You could get hurt."

"Pretty please, I just want to help a friend and also hang out with a friend."

"Well, you can hang out with him back in the manor, where I can keep an eye on you."

"It'll just be for a bit. And I'll be safe, I promise."

"No, and you're not changing my mind. So just drop it."

"Fine, but can you bring me my gloves, I think I forgot them in the bathroom."

"Sure, I'll be right back."

Joan went but found no gloves. When she returned to where she left her sister, she found no Odette.

"Dammit.", she muttered, knowing she had been duped.

Whilst Joan angrily worried about her sister, Odette followed Edward as they took back the money from the district officials.

"Thank you for letting tag along. I know I'm not really much help."

"I'm glad you came with me. You're actually very helpful."

"Thanks but I'm well aware of how much I contribute, or lack of it. "

"You shouldn't downplay yourself, your one of the few people I've met that comes close to match my intelligence."

Odette couldn't stop herself from blushing. Compliments like his were less than a few. Always being overshadowed by her sisters. 

"I suppose coming from you, I can't quite dispute it. Now can I?"