Chapter Eighteen: Here Comes The Darkness

FRIDAY JUNE 28th, 1985

The days was rolling to an end in Hawkins and that was a sign to Kaity it was time for her to leave work. She gets up from her desk and smooths down her skirts before she walks towards Hoppers' office. She politely knocks and waits a moment then opens the door and peeks in. Jim Hopper sat at his desk with a lit cigarette in his mouth as his eyes stared down at a file on his desk. He looked distracted and not by the file he was pretending to read. The man had bags under his eyes and he looked like he hasn't been getting much sleep at all. "Hey, Hop..." Kaity calls out, catching the man's attention. "I'm gonna head out," She jerks her finger behind her and he nods. "Alright, you be careful." She nods, about to step away but she stops herself. "Are you okay, Jim? You look you haven't been sleeping." She tells him, leaning against the door frame with her arms crossed. "Yeah, I'm fine kid." He waves her off and she sighs. Kaity knows that he wasn't going to admit anything to her. Jim Hopper was a very guarded person and he didn't open up very much to many people. "Okay, you have a good night, Hop." She decided to give him his space and leave it be. He would tell her or talk to her about his problems if he wanted to.

He sent her a small wave as she stepped back and she shut his office door for him. Kaity packed everything away that was on her desk and grabbed her purse. "Bye, Florence. You have a good night," Kaity says to the women as she passes her desk. "Oh," Kaity says, stopping in her tracks and turns toward the women. "Don't let Hop stay too late tonight okay? He looks like he hasn't slept a wink." She tell the older women, knowing she set her duty to look af the Cheif of police. "Oh don't you worry, I'll head in there as soon as I'm done dealing with this paperwork and send him out the door." Kaity smiles and leans over, patting the women's hands sweetly. "Thank you."

"No need in thanking me, hun. You have a good night, take care of yourself and that little one." She nods towards Kaity's stomach with a smile and Kaity nods. "I will." Kaity walks away from the women's desk and she leaves the department, heading straight for her car. The air was hot and she wanted so desperately to be in the comfort of the cool AC. She tosses her bag in the empty seat beside her and buckled herself in then started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. The drive to her home was short and she parks in the driveway and grabs her bag before she climbs out of her car. Kaity maneuvers the keys in her hands, unlock the front door. "Oh hey, honey." Kaity looks up to see her mom getting out of her chair as she enters the house. "Hey, mom." Kaity smiles as she shuts and locks the door behind her. Her mom gathers her into a motherly hug, rubbing her daughters back. "How was work?" She follows Kaity to the kitchen.  Kaity sat down her purse on the counter and she went into the kitchen, making her a glass of water. "It was good, hear from Dustin today?" Kaity asked as she took a sip of her water. Dustin has been gone at camp for almost a whole month and it was honestly driving Kaity crazy. The house was so quiet without Dustin there to mess with her and she honestly missed him a lot.

"Yes, he said he's doing good and that he's ready to come home."Kaity smiled. He was coming home tomorrow and it made Kaity relieved that he was. She wouldn't admit it to him but she missed him bursting into her room at random times in the day to talk to her about whatever was on his mind. "Are you still taking the kids to the mall tonight?" Her mom asks and Kaity nods as she finishes off her glass of water. "Yeah, I'm not sure what time I'll be back home. Probably not too late."

"That's fine dear, just be careful." Her mom squeezes her hand gently and Kaity nods. She heads towards her room and grabs a pair of jean shorts and a baggy t-shirt and heads into the bathroom across the hall. She locks the door behind her and turns the water on in the shower. Once Kaity was stripped of her clothes she got underneath the warm water that soothed her muscles. Today Kaity and Billy were taking Mike, Max, Lucas and Will to StartCourt Mall to watch a movie and Kaity and Billy were going to walk around in the meantime till the kid's movie was over. Steve would usually drive the kids around but since he works at the mall he can't really leave to take them places when they didn't want to ride their bikes so Kaity would offer to drive them places. She's gotten close to all the kiddos and has major love for them and them for her.