Chapter Twenty-Nine: Waiting For A Girl Like You

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Waiting For A Girl Like You

Three Months Later

Fall has fell on Hawkins yet again. The air was crisp and the leaves were falling and changing to beautiful colors. Kids were already planning for their Halloween costumes, eager for the night they get the gorge themselves with as much candy as they can possibly stuff into their mouth's with their tiny hands.

The door to the Hawkins police station swings open and Florence who sat at the front desk pushes her thick glasses up on her nose and looks up at the person that stood in front of her desk. Her eyes widen slightly. "Kaity? What are you doing here?" Kaitlyn Henderson stood there wearing a thin, dark maroon sweater and a black jean skirt and black boots. Her hair was freshly curled and her lips were the same color as her shirt. "You gonna pop here any minute aren't you?" The old women asks as she stands up out of her seat and moving around her desk so she could hug the young girl. Kaity laughs and hugs the women. "Yeah, some time this October he'll be out." She nods, running a hand over her large stomach. Her due date was growing closer and her excitement accumulated more.

"I'm just here to grab a few things from my desk then I'll be out of your hair." Florence waves the girl off. "I love being around you dear. I'm just making sure your not here trying to work." Kaity laughs and shakes her head as she walks over to her desk. "No, definitely not." She shakes her head. She opens the drawer to her desk and grabs the cash that she left inside it. "Hey," Kaity looks up to see Powell and Callahan standing by her desk. "Hey boys, hows it going?" She asks them offering them a smile and they both smile at her. "We're great," Officer Powell nods, glancing at his partner. "We just wanted to know how you and the little scamp are." Officer Callahan says with a large smile. "We're both fine,"

"Okay, we'll get out your hair so you can get on your way." Powell rests his hand on her shoulder. "Good luck, Kate." She smiles at them and they walk away to go sit back at their desk. Kaity stuffs the money in her purse that was on her shoulder and begins to walk forward but stops when her eyes catch a glimpse of somthing. Beside the office door, there was a plaque with Hoppers face on it that read, 'Rest In Peace Chief Jim Hopper.' Kaity looked at it with sad eyes, admiring the photograph on it. She missed Hopper, she really did.

"I still can't believe it, you know?" Kaity looks over to see Florence standing next to her, her eyes on the plaque as well. "It's so tragic. He was a good man." Florence looks over at Kaity who nods and looks away from the women back to the plaque. Florence pats Kaity's back before walking away from her and heading back towards her desk. No one else knew the real cause of Hoppers death. Everyone thinks he died in a fire that started at the mall. Kaity backs away and begins to walk towards the entrance. "Take care of yourself, Florence." Kaity stops by the women's desk and hugs her. "You take care of you and that baby, can't wait to meet him!" Kaity nods with a smile and walks out of the police station.

Kaity climbs into her car and pulls out of the parking lot. She headed towards the heart of town and pulled into the parking lot of a diner. Kaity parks her car and sits there a moment, staring at the building in front of her. Old memories of the place flashed through her mind. When she used to come her with her mom and dad, how Harriet would always know what she wanted, to when she came here with Billy for their dates. Kaity let out a breath before cutting the engine off. Kaity steps out and closes the door but pauses before she heads toward the door. Kaity ran her hand over the royal blue paint on the door and as she walks her finger tips pass over the hood.

Kaity sold her '67 Chevy Impala and used that money, along with some of the money she and Billy had saved up for California to repair Billy's 1972 Camero. The car was trashed after the incident and Kaity was able to keep the car because Neil didn't care to keep it. Neil and Susan thought Billy had got into a terrible car accident and died. The car had to be basically redone completely but in Kaity's eyes, it was worth it when she was finally able to get the thing to start. Kaity smiles softly at the car before she heads towards the entrance of the diner.